LOOK AT THIS - WOW - ITS AMAZING

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
I have just received this from a friend via email. I am amazed, here is the story.

cid_000501c8abb55d118a4058CB9623Fam.jpg

Meet Molly. She's a gray speckled pony who was abandoned by her owners when Katrina hit southern Louisiana , USA . She spent weeks on her own before finally being rescued and taken to a farm where abandoned animals were stockpiled. While there, she was attacked by a pit bull terrier, and almost died. Her gnawed right front leg became infected and her vet went to LSU for help. But LSU was overwhelmed, and this pony was a welfare case. You know how that goes.

But after surgeon Rustin Moore met Molly, he changed his mind. He saw how the pony was careful to lie down on different sides so she didn't seem to get sores, and how she allowed people to handle her. She protected her injur ed leg. She constantly shifted her weight, and didn't overload her good leg. She was a smart pony with a serious survival ethic.

Moore agreed to remove her leg below the knee and temporary artificial limb was built. Molly walked out of the clinic and her story really begins there.

'This was the right horse and the right owner,' Moore insists.

Molly happened to be a one-in-a-million patient. She's tough as nails, but sweet, and she was willing to cope with pain. She made it obvious she understood (that) she was in trouble. The other important factor, according to Moore , is having a truly committed and compliant owner who is dedicated to providing the daily care required over the lifetime of the horse.

Molly's story turns into a parable for life in post-Katrina Louisiana . The little pony gained weight, her mane felt a comb. A human prosthesis designer built her a leg.

The prosthetic has given Molly a whole new life, Allison Barca DVM, Molly's regular vet, reports.

And she asks for it! She will put her little limb out, and come to you and let you know that she wants you to put it on. Sometimes she wants you to take it off too.' And sometimes, Molly gets away from Barca. 'It can be pretty bad when you can't catch a three-legged horse', she laughs.

Most important of all, Molly has a job now. Kay, the rescue farm owner, started taking Molly to shelters, hospitals, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers. Anywhere she thought that people needed hope. Wherever Molly went, she showed people her pluck. She inspired people. And she had a good time doing it.

'It's obvious to me that Molly had a bigger role to play in life', Moore said, 'She survived the hurricane, she survived a horrible injury, and now she is giving hope to others.'
'She's not back to normal,' Barca concluded, 'but she's going t be better. To me, she could be a symbol for New Orleans itself.'

cid_000601c8abb55d118a4058CB9623Fam.jpg

cid_000701c8abb55d13fb4058CB9623Fam.jpg

This is Molly's most recent prosthesis. The bottom photo shows the ground surface that she stands on, which has a smiley face embossed in it. Wherever Molly goes, she leaves a smiley hoof print behind!

Its simply amazing what they can do now-a-days.
shocked.gif

Eira

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Afraid to say that the first picture looks awfully photoshopped - any reliable sources on the story?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed
crazy.gif

jewel

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
far from being "Amazing", IMO the animal should have been PTS..

[/ QUOTE ] totally agree with you i think that is cruel

Worried1

Visit site
When I was a staff writer for H&H I followed a story about another spotty horse which was the first to be fitted with a prosethic limb. It lengthened it's life by another year before ulcers forced the owner to have the animal PTS.

A vet will not agree to prolong an animal's life if they believe it does not have a quality of life. The USA has more powers to seize animals than we currently do.

While it would not be my personal choice I can understand why some people would opt to do this, especially if an animal has shown courage and determination and captured the hearts of those caring for it.

Most importantly it also serves as a useful way to highlight a charity working to help animals following the devastating floods after the hurricane. This is a great way of securing more funds for the future.

Archie07

Visit site
I agree it doesn't seem real, especially the first picture, I use photoshop alot for my job. I also think putting it to sleep would have been far kinder.

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
I agree with worried1,

To me in the photos the pony looks to be a picture of health. I think it has worked on this particular animal, maybe due to the weight factor, although I googled 3 legged horse and saw another with a hind leg removed that was grazing contently in a field in Wales, I think!!

If the horses health is OK and it is getting all the professional care it could possibly want for, then why put it to sleep. There are several thousand horses out there that would give their right leg (sorry about the pun!) to be in the same position and not in the one they are right now. Several thousand photos on the internet can prove that.

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
She looks well, bless her. I wonder how stable the prosthesis is if she was to be startled and spook? Maybe she has learned not to make sudden movements, I'd be worried she might trip of fall.

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
far from being "Amazing", IMO the animal should have been PTS..

[/ QUOTE ]
I completely agree.

maggiehorse

Visit site
IF the pic and story is genuine then i,m all for it , pony looks absolutely fine with it , why shouldnt it be allowed to have a life just because its not riddable? or is that commercial JM07? (i.e not worth anything in good old cash)

Tiffany

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Afraid to say that the first picture looks awfully photoshopped - any reliable sources on the story?

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree photo doesn't look totally authentic. It's an amazing story but if it's true I'm not sure I agree with a horse having an artifical limb (not even sure why I don't agree)
confused.gif

JM07

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
why shouldnt it be allowed to have a life just because its not riddable? or is that commercial JM07? (i.e not worth anything in good old cash)

[/ QUOTE ]

oh you are SO funny......

you are another one of those on here who really don't have a clue but i've got to say something brigade, aren't you love.

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
have see at least 3 others the same and in usa to be honest
it only lenghten their life by a year ask yourself is that fair

i dont think so i would rather the animal put to sleep
a horse is one of the few animals taht bears its weight mostly on front legs

they arnt like a dog or cat that can centralise the position or weight

so altho it a storey in the long run the horse/pony is suffering and his quality of life isnt rally there

Chestnut_filly14

Visit site
It sounds like the horse seems happy, if it has adapted to cope with being disabled. I think that technology like this is very important to keep horses happy.

Being PTS might be the best option in some circumstances, but I personally say that this worked out well.

Also, helps to diminish myths that us horse-addicts will shoot our pony when it falls and insist for a new one.

x

voicesforhorses

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If the pony and owner are happy then where's the problem?
Sometimes wish people wouldn't be so judgemental on things.

Thanks for the heart warming story, and i did a bit of a google search and here's another link - http://www.muttshack.org/advocate.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree with you nikkiportia and thank you for posting the link!
Emma

D

Donkeymad

Sorry, but I agree with those that said it would have been better PTS.

gothdolly

Visit site
I really would not do that to my horse, it makes me feel very uncomfortable. But I agree the photo looks altered...

maggiehorse

Visit site
actually jm07 i,m a dealer , i deal in horses privatly and from exeter and hallworthy market , my point was that a horse doesnt have to have a commercial worth , for some people they do thier best for the animal even though it has no end worth , i cant see if the pony and owners are happy why there should be a problem

M_G

Visit site
Amazing story, I just wonder about the real reasons behind this being done & can the horse just be a horse ie run and play with its buddys..

I have a feeling its more of a PR exercise than genuine love for the pony...I for one couldn't put a horse through that as it must put a horrendous amount of pressure on the stump...

I remember when a friend of mine lost 1/4 of his leg and he still suffers badly with pressure sores (happened over 10 years ago)

jewel

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
actually jm07 i,m a dealer , i deal in horses privatly and from exeter and hallworthy market , my point was that a horse doesnt have to have a commercial worth , for some people they do thier best for the animal even though it has no end worth , i cant see if the pony and owners are happy why there should be a problem

[/ QUOTE ] i think JM07 what a fanastic job with the pony she gets. also if you are a dealer in cornwall maggiehorse i find it strange that you didn't know who the mathmatician was.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
When I was a staff writer for H&H I followed a story about another spotty horse which was the first to be fitted with a prosethic limb. It lengthened it's life by another year before ulcers forced the owner to have the animal PTS.

A vet will not agree to prolong an animal's life if they believe it does not have a quality of life. The USA has more powers to seize animals than we currently do.

While it would not be my personal choice I can understand why some people would opt to do this, especially if an animal has shown courage and determination and captured the hearts of those caring for it.

Most importantly it also serves as a useful way to highlight a charity working to help animals following the devastating floods after the hurricane. This is a great way of securing more funds for the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

That horse was actually near Welwyn in Hertfordshire. The horse did live for another three years apparently, BUT, in that time it did have several falls, it was after it slipped on a concrete slope and they were unable to get it back up again that they had the poor animal finally PTS.

I have very mixed feelings about this whole thing, and whilst the story on the surface is heartwarming, I have real reservations about the quality of life for this poor little mare
crazy.gif

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
[ QUOTE ]
I have very mixed feelings about this whole thing, and whilst the story on the surface is heartwarming, I have real reservations about the quality of life for this poor little mare

[/ QUOTE ]

What is quality of life, I really would like someone to explain it to me. It is all well and good to use the words, but what does it mean.

If you made a list of what, in your opinion, contributed to quality of life, what would this pony be missing, apart from its leg.

Does a horse that has gone blind not have quality of life!!!!!! I personally know of one that was a champion reining horse, the other competitors didn't have a clue he was blind. He use to hold on to the sleeve of his handler, with his teeth when he was being led around. During competitions, they had such understanding that the horse trusted its rider 100% not to put it in danger.

All heart warming stories of understanding and compassion.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is quality of life, I really would like someone to explain it to me. It is all well and good to use the words, but what does it mean.

If you made a list of what, in your opinion, contributed to quality of life, what would this pony be missing, apart from its leg.

Does a horse that has gone blind not have quality of life!!!!!! I personally know of one that was a champion reining horse, the other competitors didn't have a clue he was blind. He use to hold on to the sleeve of his handler, with his teeth when he was being led around. During competitions, they had such understanding that the horse trusted its rider 100% not to put it in danger.

All heart warming stories of understanding and compassion.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK - here is my list

Freedom from Pain
Freedom from Thirst
Freedom from Hunger
Freedom to Gallop and Roll in the mud

The first one won't happen, the horse WILL have falls, she will also develop pressure sores - FACT.

I will give you the second one - although who here can GUARANTEE this?

I will also give you the third one - ditto above.

The last one, we, as horseowners, KNOW is one of the greatest pleasures a horse can have, how many of us watch our horses roll as soon as we put them out, mine then leap into the air and RUN, the pleasure is palpable and I love to watch them do it - this little girl, sadly cannot have that pleasure - and don't even try and tell me otherwise
crazy.gif

Soooo two out of four = 50% of a life hmmmmmm
confused.gif
Is that good - I don't think so.

brummel

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

OK - here is my list

Freedom from Pain
Freedom from Thirst
Freedom from Hunger
Freedom to Gallop and Roll in the mud

The first one won't happen, the horse WILL have falls, she will also develop pressure sores - FACT.

I will give you the second one - although who here can GUARANTEE this?

I will also give you the third one - ditto above.

The last one, we, as horseowners, KNOW is one of the greatest pleasures a horse can have, how many of us watch our horses roll as soon as we put them out, mine then leap into the air and RUN, the pleasure is palpable and I love to watch them do it - this little girl, sadly cannot have that pleasure - and don't even try and tell me otherwise
crazy.gif

Soooo two out of four = 50% of a life hmmmmmm
confused.gif
Is that good - I don't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

My horse suffers from navicular and narcolepsy, he can't gallop or leap in the air, sometimes falls down and is on medication for the rest of his life. However, despite all his problems, with constant care and attention, I KNOW he still enjoys a good quality of life and wouldn't yet consider having him pts . I'm also aware the time will come when this quality of life deteriates and as a responsible owner I will then (and only then) have him euthanised.
frown.gif

According to the link on this thread, it appears the pony can function normally (although there's no mention of galloping)..

Quote:
“She was able to walk and even lie down using this long, stiff leg, which she couldn’t bend.”

Four months later, now fitted with a custom-made prosthesis supplied by a commercial firm, Molly trots around her pasture and functions normally. “I don’t know that she ever has to come back here unless she has a problem now,” Moore said. “We’d like her to come back, but not for medical reasons — just to visit because we like her.”

If that statement is true and speaking from my own personal experience..I think, (at the moment) that pony has a very good quality of life.
wink.gif