Looking for a new BD venue

Shoei

Visit site
Hi Guys- I'm looking for a new BD venue to broaden our horizons.

We are in NE Derbyshire and I'm looking at Vale View and Arena UK. I'm only doing Prelim and Novice.

Could anyone share their experiences please as I'm always nervous at a new venue. How big are the classes?

Thanks shoei

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
No idea of those venues sorry, but I have gone to many a new venue on my lonesome with a bonkers horse lol.

My tips would be, give yourself loads of time to get there and get to know the layout before you get on. Really focus on a positive mind set, know your test and never be intimidated by all those lovely horses that turn up just as your about to do your test ;).

You’ll never know if your new favourite venue is out there if you don’t give them a go :). I’m trying a new venue for our AF second round, so fingers crossed!

fatpony

Visit site
How far away are they from you? I worry about going to new venues.
If they are close enough then I drive the route and check out the car park in advance, even worth hiring the facilities so your horse gets a dry run too. If possible go to spectate or volunteer as a scribe so you get to know how the competitions run.
If it’s too far away to visit I use google maps on satellite view and street view to work out exactly where I’m going and where to turn in , what the car parks like etc.
If possible take a friend too - a calm sensible one who is good at navigating and can make you laugh and remembers to take the tail bandage off is worth their weight in gold

leflynn

Visit site
I've just come back from Vale View for the ROR BD champs (not a local, it's a 3hr drive away) and have to say it was a lovely venue, two outdoor warmups and two lovely large indoors (easy to get 60 x 20 arenas in), great cafe and well organised. Can't help on class sizes sorry!

superpony

Visit site
I am NE Derbyshire too so we can’t be far away from each other.

Out of the two, I prefer Vale View. Nice warms up, tests indoors and a lovely cafe! The classes aren’t normally that big and there is a large car park. There is a certain way to go with lorries and trailers though to avoid the narrow lanes so make sure you check the instructions on the website!

Arena UK is definitely easier to get to as straight off A1 and loads of parking.

However, I mostly going to Parklands, Manor Grange and Aldham Mill.

Shoei

Visit site
How far away are they from you? I worry about going to new venues.
If they are close enough then I drive the route and check out the car park in advance, even worth hiring the facilities so your horse gets a dry run too. If possible go to spectate or volunteer as a scribe so you get to know how the competitions run.
If it’s too far away to visit I use google maps on satellite view and street view to work out exactly where I’m going and where to turn in , what the car parks like etc.
If possible take a friend too - a calm sensible one who is good at navigating and can make you laugh and remembers to take the tail bandage off is worth their weight in gold

Thanks- that's a good idea, I can definitely get there to spectate. I'm taking my very sensible friend with me who's always good at giving me a talking too about doing myself down

Shoei

Visit site
I am NE Derbyshire too so we can’t be far away from each other.

Out of the two, I prefer Vale View. Nice warms up, tests indoors and a lovely cafe! The classes aren’t normally that big and there is a large car park. There is a certain way to go with lorries and trailers though to avoid the narrow lanes so make sure you check the instructions on the website!

Arena UK is definitely easier to get to as straight off A1 and loads of parking.

However, I mostly going to Parklands, Manor Grange and Aldham Mill.

Thanks - I'm doing Parklands for the first time next month... I'll be the green looking one on the coloured Gelderlander slut dropping me around the warm up 😂 come say hi!!!

I have been doing Oakridge but a bit fed up with late cancellations and going into winter I can't see it getting better.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Vale view is lovely. It's easy to find and the facilities are excellent. Some friends travelled up from Kent and stabled overnight without any mishaps. Give it go, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

ponymum

Visit site
If you're looking at indoor venues, both VV and Arena UK have fantastic arenas, though I find the staff at Arena much friendlier and more approachable than VV. Others you could try are Hargate, Field House, Eland Lodge, Witham Villa (Field House and Witham Villa have indoors). If you look at the times or results online, it will give you an idea of class sizes.
Have fun :)