Looking for a new horse! How did you guys know it was the right one?

C123

Visit site
Hi guys,

I recently went to view a horse and as soon as a sat on him I just felt so relaxed and confitdent and was so engaged with him.

My question is, how did you guys know you found the right horse for you??

I’ve been looking for awhile with no luck :( Thanks

Snowfilly

Visit site
When you consider walking out the yard without them and can't do it. When you won't let your second rider on because you're having too much fun. When you find yourself grinning like an idiot as you bimble along.

All my personal horses I knew within a couple of minutes of sitting on them, and my horse of a lifetime was cliched love at first sight.

You'll know!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I didn't stop smiling the whole time I tried her and wanted to put her in the car and take her home with me that day!! If you feel upset at the thought you might lose him to another purchaser, you've probably found the one!!

12191514_10207031987530848_8078490916893448264_n.jpg

Equi

Visit site
First time i viewed my horse i was barely going to get on him cause of his ground behaviour and poor physical state, but as soon as i sat on him he was my dream horse. The rest was just a "work in progress"

JJS

Visit site
When you feel 'the fear' the second you get back in the car, because you're so worried someone else will get in there and make an offer before you.

And, on a more cliched note, when the stable door opens and you see your childhood dream horse standing right there in front of your eyes. It was no surprise that she turned out to be my horse of a lifetime!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Agree with the others, it’s a feeling! I still put my grown up hat on and listened to my mum and friend who came with me to view to make sure I wasn’t looking through rose tinted spectacles but as soon as they smiled i knew! Even my OH grudgingly agreed she seemed perfect for me when he came for my second viewing 😂

Chippers1

Visit site
When the trains going past his field scared the c*ap out of me each time and he didn't even flinch :D

But other than that, feeling safe and comfortable enough to canter him round loads after a disastrous viewing i'd had in the morning which really knocked my confidence. I got off and bought him then and there!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I have had horses grow on me over time, but I have never ignored That Feeling and never been let down by it. Dolly and Jenny were both secured at the viewings immediately as I wanted to make sure no-one else could steal them from under us!

The Trooper

Visit site
I just knew when I met Bonnie that she was coming home.

I initially went to view another mare (Both pedigree, registered shires) and didn't really feel anything for the one I went to view, although she was bigger, abit younger and more appealing to the eye we just didn't click. Both were unbroken so I couldn't ride either but i just got "The Feeling" when handling Bonnie, paid a deposit there and then and she was delivered the next again week.

maya2008

Visit site
My first: I'd tried too many with dodgy temperaments, she was the first one to be honestly sweet, kind and genuine. I bought her with my head, not my heart - it took six months for us to bond but she has been the horse of a lifetime.

Our most recent purchase - did nothing for me, but my husband fell in love within all of two minutes, had that goofy smile on his face and a soppy faced youngster following him everywhere. Arranged to pick him up there and then. They still behave like that, nine months later!

Surbie

Visit site
First saw mine in January 2017 when I joined the RDA and that was it really - absolutely adore him. There's something about that fluffy earnest face, and the woolly legs, and his worried eye. I didn't get to ride him for a while but he is immense fun. We had a bit of a bumpy transition but I've had him on loan since July 2018 and am still pinching myself that his owner has let me have him.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
It depends I think on your budget and what you're buying. Both mine were cheap bargains and I didn't instantly fall in love on viewing but if I was spending more it would be different. For my next one I'd like something flashy and more expensive, so would expect to feel that feeling straight away or a incline of potential. Where have you been looking OP? Horse quest has some lovely horses on there.

I had a full loan on a horse years ago. Owners were novice and terrified. Now the first time I rode him I fell in love, he was a gorgeous 15.1 grey with movement to die for. I would of bought him within a flash, he really did make me think wow but he was in a much higher price bracket than I could afford.

Pony 1. I went to view a little coloured cob on a rough housing estate. Nothing I was looking for, but saw the advert and it made me go 'aww poor chap, hes only £500 worth a look' He was smaller than I wanted, unbroken, nervous, to cobby, it had dodgy written all over it but bought him because I felt sorry for him. I didn't sit on him and think 'wow!' he tried to run away from people and was terrified if you touched his hind, shaking most of the time, but I saw potential because however scared he was he kept going. Within a week of ownership I knew he was the one because I absolutely adored him, the sweetest most kind. bravest pony I've ever owned and still is.

Pony 2. My other gelding was a scrawny unbroken 3yr old. I saw a video online and just liked his big movement, I viewed him and he had a lovely personality but didn't shout 'wow' at me because he was so scrawny and small, plus pretty ugly if I'm honest. I wanted something to grow into 15.2 and he was barely 14h at 3.. My boyfriend was the one who really liked him and told me to buy him, to my surprise! I am certain I would of walked away if the boyfriend didn't convince me, but he was only £450 so again, it was the 'well I suppose he isn't expensive'. The old owner only sold him as he didn't grow enough, yet despite that and the vets comments hes pushing 15.2 now at rising 7.

ihatework

Visit site
For me it was when I didn’t want to get off them!

I’ve only ever had 2 I’ve felt that way about.

Orchard14

Visit site
I arrived at the yard to view this horse that had no picture on the advert. She popped her head over the stable door and I said to myself “I hope it’s that one” and it was! Then I took her out of the stable and she dragged me across the yard flicking mud back at me. That was when I knew. I’ve never bought a horse that was backed so I wouldn’t obviously ride them before buying.

Maesto's Girl

Visit site
I went to see mine - fell in love - by the time I had stopped for a coffee 20 mins down the road, I called to say I wanted her

conniegirl

Visit site
First one was when he stuck his head over the stable door and gave me a big sloppy kiss. Aided by the fact that when i got on him i did not want to get off. My mum (second oppinion) didnt need any convincing!

Second one was when i climbed on him knowing he had had 2 years off in a field and he was a total superstar!

TPO

Visit site
I've only had that feeling once; all of my other experiences have been a textbook in how not to buy a horse! Apparently being underweight, having sad eyes and being owned by a numpty are not good reasons to buy a horse! The rest of my horses I just seem to have acquired.

The only horse I had "that" feeling about was via a photograph initially. Vicijp (was a user on here) had advertised a chestnut mare on the ex-racers forum and I couldn't stop thinking about her (the horse, not Vici!). I kept trying to be sensible because I needed a third horse like a hole in the head but she was just so amazing. Meanwhile a friend went to try her, I remember it was the weekend of the Highland Show because I was miserable the whole day and felt sick that she was going to buy her. On the way out of the show ground I spotted a chestnut who looked like a heavier version of the TB and knew that I had to have her. Thankfully my friend didn't buy her so I quickly made arrangements to get from Central Scotland to Hereford to view her. This was during the floods of 2008 too so it wasn't the best 8hr drive I've had! When I got there Vici told me that the mare had taken off with my friend (who exercised race horses) and that was why she'd decided against her, I had no idea, I'd only ever ridden ex-racers so I was a bit worried how it was going to go... needless to say it was amazing. I loved her as soon as I saw her head over the stable door. The door could have opened to reveal 3 legs and I still would have bought her! Unfortunately we didn't get our happy ending and I miss her still almost 10yrs from when she was pts. But yeah, when you get that feeling that's the one.

Having said that most of my horses I've ended up with via alternative means and they all grew on me.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I didn't even go to view mine, someone else had bought him locally in the March and hacked past our house and I was smitten! (had seen his ad but was the days before pics/internet much! and was a bit further than we wanted to travel).
I thought she'd hold onto him long enough to really screw him up but by June he'd come home, complete with cellulite from not being in work for about a month.

scats

Visit site
Sometimes you just know. Millie, I just knew.
I was unsure about Diva for a couple of weeks, more because I was reluctant to go back to 3 and wondered if I was being stupid. But I got offered a deal I couldn’t turn down and I bought her. Within 5 minutes of her being in her new stable, I was absolutely smitten. I hadn’t felt a connection that strong in years and we remained absolutely obsessed with each other until I had to say goodbye last year. Worst day of my life so far. And I’ve lost several horses.

Polly was weird, I had a strong sense that she belonged to me. I can’t explain it. I went back to see her five times because my head was telling me no, but my heart was telling me yes. So I bought her and I adore her. I still have this strange feeling that it was meant to be.

sportsmansB

Visit site
The grey mare in my picture..
She was brought to my friends yard as he was looking for a horse for someone else. The someone else wasn't a great rider, so we watched her trot round and jump a few fences with the guy who had her, then my friend asked me to get up as I would be a better judge of what she would be like for an amateur (I actually think he said 'tell me if she'd suit a numpty!'). I hopped up. She was full of bad habits and bad riding, but she gave me such a feeling, I felt like I was 'home' on her back.
Then we took her to the field and the other guy hopped up again and jumped the cross country fences. She was strong but willing. I got back on and I am notoriously not brave on strange horses in open spaces. He told me to canter her up the field, it took me 2 circles to stop, but I was still smiling. I felt safe even though she was so ignorant to ride.

Then he told me to take her a hack- again, hacking new horse on my own on the road wouldn't be my favourite- and she was an angel. I took ages, I was trying to find a tractor or a big truck or something to see if she was OK with traffic. When I came back, the guy who had brought her was gone and my friend said 'When you didn't come back I realised you must be happy so I bought her. You can pay me back or we can bring her on and sell her'. I kept her and adored her, we evented together and while always a bit tricky/sensitive to ride, I felt so safe even doing relatively scary things. Fairly ill advised as in no vetting or anything like that - I did have it done later for insurance. She was meant to be mine though, other people did rider her and say she was nice, but for me no other horse had ever come close to the feeling I got from her.

Unfortunately the same friend had to come and tell me 2 1/2 years later that she had passed away in the field aged 11, only a month after our last event. One of the worst days of my life and I miss her every day, it was over a year ago now.

Current horse I bought because he ticked the boxes and was a bargain for what I wanted. I am yet to click with him and feel like he's properly 'mine' but I think Bella's still in my head too much and I just need to crack on with him and stop being soft.

C123

Visit site
OMG I love all your stories :)

what insurance companies do you guys use to insurance your horses?
finding it hard!!

joosie

Visit site
Will this be your first horse?
I don't want to poo-poo the people who have said they got "that" feeling when they tried their horse (I experienced itself when I met mine) but do remember that riding is only one part of ownership. It's great to ride a horse and get a good feeling from them but if their character and manners aren't right you could still end up with a horse you don't enjoy owning and/or not be suited to each other. I ride hundreds of horses and have ridden plenty that gave me a great feeling from the saddle yet I didn't gel with them on the ground or their personality wasn't my type, so it is important to go on more than just whether you like riding them or not.

Chippers1

Visit site
That is true, it also took a while for my horse to come round to having me as an owner too! He's much more affectionate two years on than he was when I first got him.

For insurance I have used petplan and recently changed to SEIB as they do my horsebox insurance too so offered me a deal :)

sportsmansB

Visit site
Re- insurance, I was with SEIB and they paid out on the mare without too much quibbling, so I stuck with them until my renewal came in on the new horse and it was pretty high. I moved to Petplan but haven't had to claim yet. To be honest part of the reason I moved to Petplan was that I was able to do it all online and I was super busy at work at the renewal time!

F&B

Visit site
After I'd finished riding mine, his owner went to put his tack away, whilst I was talking to him, he put his nose to mine and blew gently - that was it I was smitten! In contrast one of the others I viewed was beautifully schooled much more advanced than him, but I got no feedback at all on the ground, he was lovely but I just didn't feel a connection.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
We went and tried ine. He was green and I was 16 but I had two competent horse people come with me (who would be my support for the future also). I’d not long had to give back my loan pony and was devastated. I had already tried another and it just wasn’t for me, a lovely horse but didn’t seem to have any character. We went and saw the green one, my friend got on first and she asked him to canter, he was so wobbly but honest. I got on and just felt something good. We took him in and unpacked and I brushed him off and we talked about him. I remember the woman saying “he’s a very in your pocket horse and I just don’t like that”. What! Who doesn’t like a horse that loves people?. Anyway I fell in love with his character. Cheeky and funny but not rude. Had him on trail for two weeks and paid after one. With help of others we continued his education and to this day he still teaches me. (Soppy I know)

oldie48

Visit site
Nope, never had that feeling of certainty with anything we've ever bought and we have had a few over the years. I think I need several months to completely fall in love with something and usually several more months to feel reasonably competent on it and to trust it. Rose is probably the one I've fallen for quickest, Bisto took a while as I was completely over horsed and I had to learn that he wasn't out to kill me and the old tb ditched me going cross country schooling and put me in hospital in our first month together. Several years on, riding the old tb was like putting on a comfy pair of shoes and I adored him. Horses are like relationships, I don't believe in love at first sight, I prefer to let them grow on me.