Looking for RS recommendations in and around London

stangs

Visit site
Physio has given the go-ahead for starting riding again, so now looking out for recommendations of RS. Need a place with well-schooled horses where I can focus on improving my seat and not needing to use too much leg whilst I'm still recovering. Also don't have too big a budget for lessons, so nothing Trent priced.

I've ridden at most of the London RS; the following are the only ones I have no experience with, if anyone could let me know whether to avoid or not?
Eastminster
Just Riding in Epping
Lower Morden EC
Diamond Centre
Aldersbrook

Alternatively, what are some good RS that are accessible from London by public transport? Has anyone experiences with Quendon Dressage, the Light Cavalry HAC, or Shardeloes Farm Equestrian Centre? Ideally, I'd really like to find a yard I can do some clinics and shows at in the future.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Trent park used to be good , just looked at their website and looks like they are still going , should be easy to get to from Oakwood station from what I can remember

clinkerbuilt

Visit site
Lower Morden is small but in a pleasant setting and worth a try-out - my experience there is not extensive though. Interested to hear about the others.

teapot

Visit site
The Light Cavalry HAC at Flemish Farm is an interesting one as those horses are regularly pulled out for HAC parade duties, Lord Mayor's parade etc. I follow a couple of people on insta who ride there and can't say I've seen any videos/photos of horses that have left me thinking 'ooo lesson on that horse would be nice' but I could be completely and entirely wrong there/small sample. Also would say very not accessible by public transport - the yard's less than a mile from Legoland so you'd be looking at a cab from Windsor. What would be saved on lesson price, you'd end up spending on transport... If you're going to go that far you may as well keep going to Berkshire Riding Centre.

The other thing to consider is price of lesson versus regularity - better to have a more expensive lesson on a decent horse twice a month than ride weekly and not gain anything from it. Why not ask @SO1 re Trent? Trent would be my recommendation if someone asked where to ride in London.

Anyone know what Lee Valley is like these days? Or https://www.londonridingschool.com/

Oh, what about Ham House with Minette Rice Edwards? That would definitely fit the bill for what you're looking for, though appreciate Richmond may be not the easiest or quickest journey.

Last edited:

Bob notacob

Visit site
Wildwoods ,at Walton on the hill is a few minutes walk from a station. BHS approved (exam centre) . Horses well cared for . (also have a mechanical horse .very useful for all stages of riding ability)Beautiful countryside. If you are going to pay ,pay to ride somewhere nice! Apparently tonight was the evening ride across Walton heath to a little backwater pub called the sportsman ,at Mogador.

guidinghorses

New User
Visit site
Littlebourne Riding School is where I used to go riding, gorgeous horses, cater for all abilities and sizes. Wonderful instructors too. They have a summer camp on at the moment so there is no riding lessons whilst that is on.
Littlebourne Farm
Northwood Road
Harefield
Middlesex
UB9 6PU

:)

stangs

Visit site
Lower Morden is small but in a pleasant setting and worth a try-out - my experience there is not extensive though. Interested to hear about the others.
Will check it out then, thank you. I've had issues finding any reviews for the riding school side.

The Light Cavalry HAC at Flemish Farm is an interesting one as those horses are regularly pulled out for HAC parade duties, Lord Mayor's parade etc. I follow a couple of people on insta who ride there and can't say I've seen any videos/photos of horses that have left me thinking 'ooo lesson on that horse would be nice' but I could be completely and entirely wrong there/small sample. Also would say very not accessible by public transport - the yard's less than a mile from Legoland so you'd be looking at a cab from Windsor. What would be saved on lesson price, you'd end up spending on transport... If you're going to go that far you may as well keep going to Berkshire Riding Centre.

The other thing to consider is price of lesson versus regularity - better to have a more expensive lesson on a decent horse twice a month than ride weekly and not gain anything from it. Why not ask @SO1 re Trent? Trent would be my recommendation if someone asked where to ride in London.

Anyone know what Lee Valley is like these days? Or https://www.londonridingschool.com/

Oh, what about Ham House with Minette Rice Edwards? That would definitely fit the bill for what you're looking for, though appreciate Richmond may be not the easiest or quickest journey.
I will check out the Berkshire Riding Centre, thank you.

My thing with Trent is that I've known quite a few of the instructors there, both present and past instructors, and I've liked a grand total of one. I didn't enjoy the few lessons I did there (just my personal preference), and I still have a bone to pick with them over the time some new purchases of theirs turned out to have strangles and they didn't inform any of the local yards, many of which had sharers riding at Trent.

I've heard they've got some nice Spanish things now - though not sure if they're used in lessons - but I'd still rather find try find somewhere else for now.

Lee Valley I've heard has gone crazily Health & Safety these days, but not sure if that's affected the riding school clients. Ham House has a waiting list. Kicking myself that I didn't get regular lessons there before it was too late.

Littlebourne Riding School is where I used to go riding, gorgeous horses, cater for all abilities and sizes. Wonderful instructors too. They have a summer camp on at the moment so there is no riding lessons whilst that is on.
Littlebourne Farm
Northwood Road
Harefield
Middlesex
UB9 6PU

:)
Littlebourne's got a waiting list unfortunately.

daydreamer

Visit site
Have a look at Hemps Green Equestrian, accessible by train depending on which bit of London you are in. Recently won South east riding school of the year.