Looking for someone to help with a pony that naps/rears - recommendations

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
I'm looking for recommendations for some one to help with a 6 yr old pony who has a tendency to nap & rear. Teeth/back etc all checked. Definite tensions issues. The owner has only had it 6 weeks and we do not know it's previous history. Pony is based just south of Reading.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
If you’re certain there are no physical issues then perhaps consider emotional ones. Nearly every horse or pony that I’ve brought home has had issues... usual checks done it boils down to confidence, nerves, anxiety etc. Give him time, confidence and make the new routines you have enjoyable and stress free. Push them but know the limits each time. It will all settle down. Six weeks is the usual crunch time and by three months I’ve found them to start to really be ok with change. I feel for these animals... they go to home after home and I’m not surprised it gets them down. They are very emotional creatures and we should respect that.

jules9203

Thank you Tallyho. Its not my pony but I will pass that on. Amymay I'm not holding back but don't have masses of information, I have answered your questions. I was hoping to get a name of someone that could help the owner through the issues. It certainly seems behaviourable and as I explained back teeth etc have all been checked.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It could be pain caused by something more serious so the normal teeth, saddle physio won't throw anything up, in my experience rearing is quite a strong response I would be getting a proper vet check before sending it to someone, especially as you have limited history of the pony, had she been in touch with the previous owner?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Has the pony had its eyes checked? My daughters lovely young pony started not napping as such but whipping round constantly and rearing. It was his eyes.

jules9203

Thank you everyone for your advice. The owner had someone come and ride the pony today. As soon as she realised she couldn't nap or buck she stopped trying and went very sweetly. She wasn't hit / shouted at or bullied in anyway just positively ridden. Fingers x having her reschooled will be the answer as well as improving the rider.