Looking to buy for horse for daughter to show jump.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Hi,We had a 4 yr old vettedother daypased on all things but reared over backwards on top of daughter so obviously a bit wary of that one now.Vet did advise daughter to ride horse a few more times to ensure itwasn't a normal occurence before we parted with cash.Daughter still wants horse
frown.gif
frown.gif
but seller (dealer says no
frown.gif
)Anyway daughter ok just sore today.
Anyway does anyone know of 'decent' dealers or private where she could get a decent young horse to bring on and do BSJA eventually.Daughter 14 ,15 later this year and very capable rider.Not horrendousley expensive either which is why we thought youngster rather than an established jumper

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
i know of a nice 9yo for sale. Its only ever done dressage plus some unafill jumping as owner doesn't 'do' jumping. It pops round 1m10/1m20 for fun with a novicey rider as it is and shows ability to go higher (loose schools over 1m50 with ease)

edit he is actually 10 but he is a hano with top eventery lines
wink.gif

She isn't asking that much either considering current prices. can give you contact details and link to ad on H&H online (going in mag in late August but ad went live a couple days ago as that immediate)

Katie

JAK

Visit site
Hhmm, yes, was thinking the same myself!

TequilaMist - I'd stick with the same dealer personally - sounds very sensible, refusing to sell a horse that reared & fell over on a teenager to said teenager!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If your daughter has not long come of ponies then I would suggest that she goes for a horse a little older than 4 years. Horses are a totally different ball game that ponies. A young rider and a young horse learning together sounds all very lovely & idealistic but in reality it seldom works. Go for an older & more experienced horse, 8-9 years or older, that has been there & done it. That way there should be no nasty surprises like rearing etc. Personally I wouldn't touch a horse that rears, & certainly not put my child on it. The dealer sounds ok, he has a reputation to maintain so he wants to sell you a horse you are happy with. Tell him exactly what you want & he'll find it for you. Good Luck with your search.

Fleur100

www.welhamstud.co.uk
I wouldn't touch a horse that had reared over backwards abd am quite shocked that your vet passed it as 'suitable'.

I know of a 14.2hh coloured gelding 7 years old. Currently jumping 3 foot courses with ease. At the start of its career so reasonably priced but has been produced by a professional yard so everything has been done properly. if you are interested in more details send me a pm. It is in the Leicestershire area.

Samiez

Visit site
She want's to buy a horse that reared on top of her? She must have alot of confidence! Sorry i don't know any horses for sale but you can PM me for websites if you like, Whereabouts are you?

Rambo

Visit site
Where abouts in the country are you ? There are a number of very good producers in my part of the world who specialize in bringing on youngsters for BSJA. I certainly wouldn't consider buying a horse that had gone over backwards on me (or my kids), and applaud the dealer for the stance he has taken.

Echo everything else that has been said about getting something a little older to start her off in horses too...perhaps a 7 or 8yo...

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
If your daughter has not long come of ponies then I would suggest that she goes for a horse a little older than 4 years. Horses are a totally different ball game that ponies. A young rider and a young horse learning together sounds all very lovely & idealistic but in reality it seldom works. Go for an older & more experienced horse, 8-9 years or older, that has been there & done it. That way there should be no nasty surprises like rearing etc. Personally I wouldn't touch a horse that rears, & certainly not put my child on it. The dealer sounds ok, he has a reputation to maintain so he wants to sell you a horse you are happy with. Tell him exactly what you want & he'll find it for you. Good Luck with your search.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with this totally, Horse like this a a major liability
shocked.gif

TequilaMist

Visit site
Hi thanks for replies.I think I worded original wrongly.It isn't that dealer WON'T sell horse to us its he WON'T let her try it again just wants us to buy after vetting fiasco
mad.gif
.Daughter has rode this mare 3 times previously and showed no inclination to do this in factsweet horse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do understand what people are saying bout youngsters and horses and how they are a totally different ball game.Daughter has ridden my and friends horses as well as her own ponies since she was about 8/9yrs.And her instructor (who is blunt and honest) says she is capable of bringing on youngster,and as long as she does this slowly and sensibly so do I.Even vet asked her to sit on youngster for someone cos she had done good job with schooling someones horse to sell.
She has just come off 148s as she has started to knock poles with her feet!!!And 15 hh feel would be a bit small .
We are looking for 15.3 -16.2 Don't want to go bigger than that really.To be honest age etc is not set in stone if right horse came up within our price range I am ok with that.Not keen on too old an animal (nothing against age)just sellability after and I already have one 21 yr old sitting in a field.
Oh I am in Scotland.Don't mind traveling if we have to but closer the better

TequilaMist

Visit site
Vet passed everything else but did say that on condition that it was ridden again to ensure not a habit.This was a 4 yr old.
I agree older horse may be the better option but to get that within our price range it probably would have to be a bit older that I would like.Daughter also finds ready made horses 'boring'.She likes to school not dressage.Every equine she has had from 5 yrs old to be honest have been 3/4 yr olds that she has brought on(obviosly with help when she was really young)and understand ponies much easier and forgiving that a big horse.If horse young nature would obviosly be taken into consideration.
I don't half ramble on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Personally wish she was staying on ponies!!!!!!!!!!!!

HoneyvalesHorses

Visit site
i don't think that buying a youngster for a first horse is a bad thing if your daughter gets on with it and you have the support of a good trainer
my first horse was a 15.2hh 7 yrs dutch warmblood (i was 12yr)he was very difficult with some riders and wasn't broken until he wwas 6 but me and him seemed to really click i would still have him know if i hadn't outgrown him so i think it depends on the horse really not their age!!

good luck finding one
smile.gif

MillionDollar

Visit site
Going abroad to find a horse is fine, but actually they're not cheaper. The average British bred horse sells for £2,500 compared to £7,500 for a European bred horse. They see you coming and put the price right up. My lecturer found a really quality SJer at a novice competition in Holland and asked how much, the owner laughed and said to you £25,000. It was at its first competition. Then when you import its a lot of money in total. Don't get me wrong i have an imported warmblood who is perfect, but there are decent horses here.

Good Luck.
smile.gif

TequilaMist

Visit site
grin.gif
Totally agree ,quick quick slow looks great!!!Wish they would put prices with them.Always think if no prices then way out of my league!!!!!!!!!!Thanks tho

Rambo

Visit site
Hardly anyone puts prices on their websites though. They don't want the other dealers knowing their prices I suspect
shocked.gif
(Or, they tailor the price to the car you arrive in if you're a sceptic
shocked.gif
)