Looks like the Hunters Have Won

wanabe

Visit site
Now that I've familiarized myself with the hunting situation over there, it seems to me that you hunters have won! You can carry on much as before and if you accidentally kill a fox, well the police aren't interested. The public wanted an anti-hunting law and they got it and the vast majority of them are satisfied with nothing more than that. This has taken the wind out of the sails of the antis.

I think it would be a mistake for you to push for a repeal of the law if the Tories get control of the government.

Looks to me like the antis didn't believe you when you told them you didn't hunt because you enjoyed the killing of the fox -- and you showed them otherwise. They're no doubt frustrated by that.

wanabe

Visit site
Okay, Giles has just informed me via PM that you can use any number of hounds to flush foxes as long as you kill the fox with a bird-of-prey.

So, that sounds like a pretty good situation; chase after the laid fox-scent trail and if you DO flush a fox, kill it with the bird-of-prey and no violation of the law. The hunters may even get the added bonus of watching the bird work.

MotherClucker

Visit site
Not true! Only two hounds can flush to a BOP (a full pack in Scotland though).

Not true Endy. If I flush with my five dogs the only I can comply with the law is by having a bird of prey present to pick the flushed out animal apart.

That's less cruel than allowing the animal to escape apparently. Not sure I would agree if I were the animal with the birds talons sinking into me but hey who who actually gives a monkeys about that.

Mithras

Visit site
And people like me who didn't hunt before the ban are now doing so regularly - my main interest being jumping out hunting. I think a lot of new people have been attracted to it due to the publicity and the desire not to see such traditions die out. Hunting in Scotland is great now, everyone's happy.

MotherClucker

Visit site
And people like me who didn't hunt before the ban are now doing so regularly - my main interest being jumping out hunting. I think a lot of new people have been attracted to it due to the publicity and the desire not to see such traditions die out. Hunting in Scotland is great now, everyone's happy.

Yeap and they are killing far more foxes too! Bingo! What a fantastic law!