Looming yard closure

throwaway1990

New User
Visit site
I moved my mare recently, about a month ago, to a lovely yard and we're both really happy there. I knew beforehand that the owners are appealing after failing to gain planning permission for their land and that the yard will be closing at some point when that's eventually granted. We're being given six months notice which is very much appreciated and I thought it'd all be fine, and I'd just deal with it when it happens.

BUT, a local yard closed just after I moved and there are c. 50 horses to find space for meaning when my place closes, options are going to be extremely limited. My concern is not being able to find anywhere when all the other liveries are also looking, do I look for other potential yards now despite being very happy and settled? Am I worrying too much when we've not even been given notice?

It's started to play on my mind.

eggs

Visit site
I would wait to hear the outcome of the appeal as there is no guarantee that planning will be granted.

GreyDot

Visit site
As long as it definitely would be a full 6 months notice (which is extremely generous), I would wait it out, but start looking so you have an idea what your options are in the worst case, maybe put your name on a waiting list? Six months would take you through to next spring, when it's often easier to find livery. Winter is the worst time.

Nasicus

Visit site
I've no advice, but just wanted to sympathize with you, being in a similar situation. LO gave permission for a developer to seek planning permission, first application refused locally, gone to appeal. Meanwhile developers have submitted another application locally. Suspect it'll just keep going around in that loop until it's eventually granted. Do I leave now? Do I stay? How long do I have? Will it ever be granted? It's so close to home, I don't want to cut my nose off so to speak.

Urgh, horrible situation to be in, really plays on you mentally. So you have my sympathy and commiserations, with the hope that you get an answer soon.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Are you being given 6 months notice from now or 6 months notice from the appeal outcome being published? You can look up the appeal on the Planning Inspectors website and that will give you the timescale that the Planning Inspector is working to. You can also tag the application to be notified of any outcomes.

I'd start looking passively, keep an eye and ear open and maybe visit a few yards. If you come across one you really like then you can make your choice at that time. Good yards are very hard to find.

meleeka

Visit site
I’d wait it out. If it’s gone to appeal there’s a high chance they won’t get the permission anyway. A big yard local to me recently closed and gave everyone 4 months notice. I believe everyone found somewhere in that time.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i went to a yard and the YO said she had applied for planning permission to convert the barns, where the stables were, it took 8 years before she finally sold up so dont be too hasty to jump ship...just keep looking for somewhere else so you have a back up plan

Melody Grey

Visit site
There’s no harm in looking around and seeing what the other options are, you never know what you might find.

I sympathise with it playing on your mind, but none of us are ever totally safe at livery. It feels like there’s never total certainty if you’re renting something. 6 months warning is good I think.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
If the 50 horses are all looking for yards now I would not look anywhere yet, wait until you get given notice and then look. By then the 50 horses will be rehomed and not fighting for any available spaces going.