Loose horse in 3 mile cross

Rana

Visit site
Had an eventful journey to the yard this morning, and came across a scared looking policeman looking at a loose horse on the road.

Stopped to help of course, and ended up dragging OH out of bed at 6am lol. Fortunately he keeps electric cable in his car, so I made a headcollar, and we managed to get the horsey back into it's field.

Sounded like another one might have got out too, but couldn't find it in the dark - seemed to be in an adjacent field, so was at least safe for the short term.

Police have called RSPCA and I'm planning to contact the BHS welfare officer. Horses seemed well cared for, but obviously escaping onto the road is a welfare issue (fencing is appalling). Lucky the pony only got onto the road, and not onto the adjacent motorway.

Just wondering if anyone knows who the owners are and could let them know what happened. It's the field next to the Hungry Horse pub.

Not the way I planned to start my morning, and my horse was very upset that her breakfast was late, but at least I know pony is safe.

LynneB

Visit site
good lord that's a busy area, good job you managed to get at least one back in safely
smile.gif

Rana

Visit site
Not a great place to have a loose horse, is it? Right on that tricky little bend too.

All's well that ends well though, and I'm sure the other one is safe - there was certainly no sign of it when I drove the same route an hour or so later.

Rana

Visit site
Good thinking, they own a lot of the land round there too. Or they did a few years ago anyway.

The pub landlord/owner came out, and even he doesn't know who owns the ponies, so I'm a bit suspicious they may be squatting, or the landowner has nothing to do with what goes on there.