Loose horse on the roads... what to do???

minmax

Visit site
What should you do?
I found one last night, I caught it and phoned the police. They said put it in a field. No fields around as crop fields with no fences.
Luckily the owners came within about 20 mins looking for it. What would have happen if they hadn't?
The police, even though I told them it was sorted, phoned me back about an hour later, looking for me.
I usually have mints and leadropes in my car, good for the horse but I had passed cars going the other way, who hadn't bothered to stop or report it. It was covered in cold sweat and lots of poo on the lane so must have been out for a while. I even had a car stop and tell me he had seen it earlier!
Grrr.

ProperBo

Visit site
As someone in the know - the police HAVE a contractor who will remove horses and take them to a secure location! Phone the police up say its in the road - they have to attend - do not touch teh horse as you are then "deemed" to have taken tempory ownership and theortically even just by catching it/them you are takeing responsibility for it.

MissTyc

Visit site
We once acquired a horse that was running loose. Police waved us down as we were driving along as we had trailer hooked on the back. They'd managed to chase the pony into a field and then basically held up their hands and said over to you! We caught, loaded, took it home - never heard from the police again, though they kindly passed on our home details to the gypsy site nearby who turned out to have lost the horse .... So gypsy family turns up at home, load horse up and goodbye. Three days later they're back on site asking for £500 for the thing :confused: .... Must have mug written all over, as four years later the pony is still in our field :D :D - and we had a nice BOGOF out of it as well (which was another thing as gypsy family turned up again the month she was born and said we hadn't bought the foal just the mare! Sent them off with fly in ear!).

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
We once acquired a horse that was running loose. Police waved us down as we were driving along as we had trailer hooked on the back. They'd managed to chase the pony into a field and then basically held up their hands and said over to you! We caught, loaded, took it home - never heard from the police again, though they kindly passed on our home details to the gypsy site nearby who turned out to have lost the horse .... So gypsy family turns up at home, load horse up and goodbye. Three days later they're back on site asking for £500 for the thing :confused: .... Must have mug written all over, as four years later the pony is still in our field :D :D - and we had a nice BOGOF out of it as well (which was another thing as gypsy family turned up again the month she was born and said we hadn't bought the foal just the mare! Sent them off with fly in ear!).

Nice story :)