Loose jumping competitions for 3yo's

Heidiham

Visit site
East of England show used to but I don't think they do any more. Otherwise it tends to be the German/Dutch breed society shows (eg Trakehners UK annual show) and BEF Futurity of course.

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
Thanks, I'm hoping to take him to the futurity for evaluation, he went as a foal and got a good 1st premium. I was contemplating taking him to Zangersheide for their loose jumping comp but it's the travelling aspect that puts me off. I have horses at home and I'll struggle to find someone to look after them all while I'm gone.

Wondering how much/little prep he'll need too.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
Its such a shame the East of England one isnt held any more. They also had one at Equifest the first year it was on, but no idea if they still do.
We did very well with oen of our fillies as a 2 and 3yo in loose jumping classes and I loose jump all m,y youngsters at some point to see how they think, and how athletic they are.

Navalgem

Had a look at equifest and east of england country show and no loose jumping, also googles loose jumping competitions england and got nothing. Looks like ireland is gonna be my nearest. :(

jayjayhorse

New User
Visit site
There is one in cental Scotland in October, run by Scottish Sports Horse. Think first prize was about £1000 last year.

Worth having a look at the site.

J x

GinnieRedwings

Visit site
I can't answer your specific question, but we are currently preparing our 3 year old for the Futurity and as she is in the eventing section, we've been working on loose jumping sporadically since she was about 18 months old (altough at that time, we might have "jumped" her over one small cross pole perhaps once every 3 months or so). We are now stepping up the training and she is jumping every 3 weeks or so.

I just have one comment, but please tell me if I'm trying to teach your grandmother to suck eggs :eek:

Gaia was very happy popping over one jump, though she is nowhere near as talented as your boy - gorgeous action over a jump BTW - but when we introduced the line and she had to come into it in trot, negotiate 2 then 3 jumps and stick to related distances, she found it all a lot more dificult. So we have set up a line, with the distances specified in the Futurity guidelines and trying to get her used to working within the set distances. She's much better now, but I am glad I didn't assume that because she could pop a single jump easily, she would manage the line equally easily.

The oxer at the end of the line is only 1m x 0.80m, but the gymnastics of negociating the line is what took her longest to master - she is bred for eventing and covers a ridiculous amount of ground in each canter stride - not the height.

Anyway, your boy looks like he might find it easier than our ginger menace :D

Last edited:

Navalgem

Many thanks Ginnie for your kind comments on his technique, I'm hoping he'll be at least as good as his mother who has a superb loose jump!

I have jumped him once down a small grid, a crosspole then 7 strides to an upright which was built up to 1m. I would have built an oxer but didn't have enough poles or wings inside as some had been moved outside for practise on the field before the grass season started for the other horses. Haven't tried three elements yet. Not sure what the striding used in these comps/evaluations is (will have to check). I think the eventing bred horses may struggle with a shorter distance between elements more than showjumping bred horses as their canter is naturally more ground covering, my boy is quite short coupled so is quite short and bouncy anyway! I quite like the idea of young horses (under 6-7yo) jumping small grids loose, teach them to think for themselves, increase confidence and develop more suppleness and balance. He won't be jumping much since he's young, have only loose jumped him 4 times in total and the first couple of times was a simple crosspole with a placing pole in front. I want him to be happy and confident but I don't want to sour him either, I might well follow your 3 week plan! :D

As for teaching grandmothers to suck eggs - you never stop learning, just a few weeks ago a former international showjumper now trainer (aged 70+) was enquiring as to what some reins were on a horse on a clinic he was giving, and what their purpose was, if he can still learn, I'm damned sure I can! (I'd do a cool smiley but I have no idea how!)

AMH

Visit site
Thanks, I'm hoping to take him to the futurity for evaluation, he went as a foal and got a good 1st premium. I was contemplating taking him to Zangersheide for their loose jumping comp but it's the travelling aspect that puts me off. I have horses at home and I'll struggle to find someone to look after them all while I'm gone.

Wondering how much/little prep he'll need too.

Having been to several licencing events overseas and compared them to what I've seen in the UK, I'd say that preparation is key. Those who haven't prepared their horses stick out like a sore thumb. It's daunting enough for youngsters to be in a strange arena and a stressful environment, and if they don't know what's expected of them it's even more difficult.

I think it's a real shame to see lovely horses let down by lack of preparation - to be fair it won't change their raw ability but it will give them every chance of showing themselves to their full advantage.

Navalgem

Having been to several licencing events overseas and compared them to what I've seen in the UK, I'd say that preparation is key. Those who haven't prepared their horses stick out like a sore thumb. It's daunting enough for youngsters to be in a strange arena and a stressful environment, and if they don't know what's expected of them it's even more difficult.

I think it's a real shame to see lovely horses let down by lack of preparation - to be fair it won't change their raw ability but it will give them every chance of showing themselves to their full advantage.

Yes it's finding the balance between too little and too much.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
The Futurity loose jumping is fairly straight forward and your boy should pick it up very quickly.
Ginnyredwings - if your horse struggles to shorten the canter then try changing the grid work to teach her to back off the fence and sit on the hind quarter a bit more rather than just sticking to how the Futurity one is set up. Thats the trick with loose jumping training, working on the technique with different lay outs, so that the evaluation itself is easy for the horse.
For example you could try placing poles in the middle of the canter stride, a V of poles on the front rail of the oxer etc depending of exactly what she finds difficult.

GinnieRedwings

Visit site
Thanks Volatis. I did keep to the short version of our training with Gaia and have done all you suggest already, and many more variations on the theme... which means she is now getting quite good at negotiating the fairly straightforward Futurity line (although the distances are too short for her - it is also supposed to accomodate the Sports Ponies, don't ***think*** they change the line). I just meant to point out to the OP, and anyone else planning to take their 3 yo who haven't necessarily had any experience of loose jumping evaluations that they need to start doing their homework... and sharpish! :D