Loose jumping yay or nay?

Dottyfordylan

Visit site
Loose jumped my boy for the first time today apart from being very hard work with alot of running around on my part it was great fun! Showed up a few things he does when I ride him so has given me a better understanding of how to tackle these problems when ridden.

He had a couple of jumps from a standstill at first but soon got the idea and jumped 1M. He's not all that confident jumping away from home so got me thinking if jumping without a rider will improve his confidence?

Does anyone else loose jump and if so what are your reasons for doing it?

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Yes, find it a good way to get youngsters jumping without the hinderance of a rider. It also gives me a better indication of their technique. Later on it helps build their confidence over larger fences.

Venevidivici

Visit site
I do it 2 or 3 times a month,to add a bit of variety to his work and he loves it(gets a bit excited!) Interesting to see his movement,technique etc and a grid set up down a jump lane helps to improve fitness,elasticity,rhythm and makes him use his brain! I lunge first to make sure he's properly warmed up. Setting up a kind of 'jump lane' in the school also means less running round for you:)

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Yes. Not so much with PF as she knows her job, but for Antifaz it really helped him settle as he used to be a complete stress head and couldn't jump without rushing (thanks to previous rider!) I've jumped LC a couple of times in the lane so that he understands what he's expected to do and also to see if he's any good, which he is :)

coloured_c0b

Visit site
Definately!! I couldn't lunge my horse as he hates lunges pens and try's to charge u!! Long story so if I haven't ridden him in a couple of days I always loose jump him in the school to get rid of some of his energy! He loves jumping too so I'd rather do that with him than have him doing something he hates!!