Loose Jumping

frostyfingers

Visit site
A bit of history before I ask the question! My horse had the ligament surgery for Kissing Spine 18 months ago and up until about 8 weeks ago has been absolutely fine. He's a hunter and lives for his hunting and jumping. I'd noticed he'd not been jumping as freely nor taking me into jumps as much as he used to and had the physio out to him. She felt he was sore across the SI so treated him, told me to work him gently and see how he went before trying to jump again. He perked up a bit, but wasn't hugely enthusiastic so she came out again for more treatment and suggested that if he didn't feel better to contact the vet where he'd had the surgery. I've also had his saddle checked again and although the saddle does fit well in light of the soreness a riser pad was suggested to lift it from his back a little. He went back there 10 days ago and his vet felt that there was soreness across the SI so gave him some steroids and to see how it worked.

There are no other signs of discomfort, he's sound, happy, bucking, rolling, galloping in the field etc and I've been told to keep him up and fit as if his muscle strength drops problems arise.

We were hunting today, his first day but 4th outing since the injection and I popped a log (2 ft max) and although he jumped he wasn't comfortable so we didn't bother again.

Someone has suggested I loose jump him in an arena to see how he behaves - now I've never done this, and I'm pretty sure he hasn't either (ex pointer), so I'm looking for hints/tips/advice on whether this is sensible or helpful.....or suggestions as to where to go now.