Loosing faith...

gingerspice

Visit site
My big project to make a really old stone barn into stabling for my horses just doesn't stop!! I'm starting to loose faith or hope in it, partitioning is so expensive and having had some great advice on sorting the flooring without concreting, I have no idea if i did it how the partitions would get fixed..? Can anyone advice me?

It also takes so much time, i knew it would - but looks like my boys might be overwintering out for a while.... especially as told livery yard not going back after summer at home! Just needed to get that off my chest!
smile.gif

imafluffybunny

Visit site
What are you partitioning it with? We partioned off an old barn and it didn't cost that much. What are you planning to do to the floor?

gingerspice

Visit site
trying to partition it with the classic internal stabling panels - half wood or plastic at bottom and top half steel grill. But need to go around inside of barn to protect stone work as well.
Floor is currently old cobbles/dirt and rubber mat lady said to level it with sharp sand/lime mix rather than concrete to save cost... with mats on top obviously!
what partitioning did you use imafluffybunny??

imafluffybunny

Visit site
We bricked ours with grills at the top and rubber attached to the walls as padding for the horses, we were lucky as our floors were already concreted then we layed rubber matting on top. Do you not have any friends/ friends of the family that can help you errect the partitions or lay the floor for cheaper than emplying someone to do it for you?
We looked at wooden partions from companies and they were very expensive so we opted for brick instead, I think they look quite smart although if you can afford nice wooden ones do look very nice.

gingerspice

Visit site
Thanks for that - think will look into combination of partitions and your wall/rubber combination to maximise space, could actually work well! Yeap, about to call on a few helpful friends that I think could be up for a challenge on a rainy afternoon..!
Thanks for that - revived my enthusiasm..!
smile.gif

Tiffany

Visit site
You just need some PAR timber and sheets of OSB for your partitions and maybe grills if that's what you want. If your horses get on you could just put moveable partitions in for the short term such as old gates but cover gates with OSB both sides so they can't get legs, head through.
smile.gif

Not sure about floor suppose it depends how uneven it is?

Good luck
smile.gif

Booboos

Visit site
Just a word of warning, a large livery yard I was once at had converted two large barns by putting up freezeblock bottom and grill on top partitions, but they had not put any foundations in for the freezeblocks. Almost every week you could guarrantee that one of the horses would have pulled its wall down! I think they were rubbing their bums on the partition walls and pulling the whole thing down and I don't think it was a particular horse's fault as it had happened to almost every single stable in the yard. It was a real false economy in the end and very dangerous.