Loosing weight

mums the groom

Visit site
used a weight tape last night to give me a rough estimate on my horses going into winter weight, they are both currently about 50kg over weight. I'm hoping they will loose it over winter is it do able?

SpringArising

Visit site
That's a very vague question -

What breed are they? How are they kept? What are they fed? How many hours and what type of work are they doing a day?

mums the groom

Visit site
Sorry, one a section B, one a Connemara both in light work out during the day stabled at night, Welshie fed top chop Zero and anti-lam 2kg soaked hay and extra net of oat straw if needed overnight Connie fed 1/2 scoop of honey chop and 4kg of hay, I try to ride/ work them every other day. They have both had Irish clips

SpringArising

Visit site
What's the reason for giving them extra feed? I'd cut that out right off the bat and up their work load to higher intensity stuff. If only Irish clipped I'd also leave them unrugged at night.

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
Have you BCS them? I don’t find weight tapes to be the most accurate. I use them to measure whether they’re gaining/losing but don’t really rely on the actual figure.

My 15.2 mutt weighs in at around 480kgs (weight tape) when he’s looking his best, although I’m pretty sure he’d weigh around 500kgs on a bridge!

Harley gets fat off thin air. We’ve found the best management is out on a night with no hay in field (even though the field is effectively bare, spoke to my vet who said he gets all the nutrients from the soil).

He comes in during the day and gets 2 haynets of double soaked hay, first soak is 12ish, the second is 8, (not 100% sure though as my mum deals with hay as I’m allergic!!) then I leave to drain.

He has to have feed because he needs supplements for his sweet itch, but he only gets a handful of graze on. If yours don’t need feed definitely take them off it. Other things you can do is leave them out rugless. This’ll make them shift weight!

He *usually* gets ridden 5 times a week, however I’m not riding atm. He’s maintaining his weight nicely so I know his current routine is working for weight loss. Would like him to shed a little more to get him to a perfect weight but I’m impressed that he’s not put any on due to nil work!x