Lopsided Rider

Carlosmum

Visit site
Those of you who have read my posts in the past may remember the problems I have had getting pony more forward.

Cutting a long story short, my new instructor has been very helpful and organised a different vet physio & saddle checks for pony, who now after 3 treatments and a new saddle has the potential to move without issue.
However, after the saddle lady came out today for a re-flock we have come the the conclusion I have one side (leg) which rides longer than the other. I am level in my seat and sitting straight but my right leg is much stronger and hence my left leg hangs lower. We have addressed this by shortening the stirrup on my left side, to try to maintain me in a level position, but I know in a month or so's time I am going to have squashed all the flocking on the right again, because my weight naturally falls to this side. After all the work we have done to help pony's back I don't want to ruin him by my awful riding.

Does any one have any idea how I can straighten my self up. I see chiro every 6 months and am attempting pilates. Thanks All!!

ozpoz

Visit site
Lots of physio and yoga? I need much more than one chiro session every 6 months, like many others. Riding with mirrors and/or using one of the new apps can help.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
I see chiro every 6 months and am attempting pilates. Thanks All!![/QUOTE]

Hi OP, I'm surprised your chiropractor hasn't mentioned and therefore treated this, given that they are trained to spot misalignment and then realign. Is s/he HCPC registered? I'm not trying to slate your chiro but this really surprises me. Why do you go once every six months? Have you noticed that you are lop-sided in any other aspects? I started my chiropractic treatment October last year for reasons similar to yours. Before treatment I definitely noticed that I was lop-sided (much more comfortable on one rein that the other, painful knee and ankle on one side when riding etc) and after a year's treatment this has now resolved and I feel nice and balanced. Like you I also had one leg longer than the other but my amazing chiropractor has treated this and my legs are now in the correct positions and therefore of equal lengths. So I know how you feel! But any additional information that you can give your practitioner may help in their diagnosis or your pain management and treatment plan. It is most definitely treatable!

I would either book in to see a different chiropractor (ensuring that they are HCPC registered and have excellent testimonials and customer feedback) for a thorough assessment or, if you are happy with the one you see, invest in some intensive sessions with him/her following a re-assessment. Pilates and yoga are also very good exercises to keep you strong and balanced, although I would seek the chiro's recommendation of this as they may advise for or against certain movements. You mention that you have a new riding instructor, which is great. S/he is obviously aware of your lop-sidedness from what you say, so they will be able to monitor this and offer advice, although I would without doubt see the chiropractor for a full assessment before any more lessons. My practitioner advised me not to ride while I was going through the intensive part of my treatment so I gave my boy last winter off and concentrated on myself. Obvs this was just my experience, you may have a totally different treatment plan, but for me it was worth it.

You may be able to detect that I am very pro-chiropractic treatment! It has worked wonders for me, in the sense that I cannot believe that I am finally (mostly) pain-free and in good alignment. I do however understand that it isn't the miracle cure for everyone. I haven't seen any of your other posts so I don't know if this is helpful or not. Also to add, I'm sure you're not an awful rider and ruining your horse, although I'm sure we all feel like that at some point (for me it is every time I ride!!!). Hope this helps OP, please let us know what you decide to do and how you get on.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Are your hips ok?! I ask because I'm silmilar! Mine has finally (after making use of O/H job perk of private health insurance) been put down to a bit of extra bone growth in my left hip joint.
That can't really be fixed itself, at least not without surgery which I don't really want but we have been working on my core strength which was rubbish, due to the hip and me, over the years unknowingly holding myself weirdly and favouring one side. It has definitely made a difference.

Ceriann

Visit site
I'm wonky. I broke my left hip 3 years ago but oddly my wonkiness is that I lean into that side, with right leg wandering. I've worked really hard on this, spending whole sessions just thinking right, right, right at every step! Lots of changes of rein help as they force you to think about your position but the thing that sorts you quickly is losing the stirrups. I haven't been brave enough to go for the most effective option, where you lose the stirrup you lean into only and then try rising trot but I will in time to try and nail the issue! I'm also having physio regularly