Lorries + Dodgy garages

evsj

Visit site
Just enquiring as to whether any peeps have had problems with garage repairs to their horsebox in the last couple of years.....

I won't go into detail as I am gathering evidence etc... But I am preparing to confront a garage near me who I used to do repairs on my lorry last October, charged me the best part of a grand and then, low and behold my lorry failed it's plating last week on the very thing I paid to have fixed. So I have been driving around for the last 6 months with an extemely serious fault that could have caused an accident and loss of lives completely unawares because as far as I was aware the fault had been fixed.

I currently have an independent engineer surveying the work that should have been done and expect to pick up his report tonight. Then, me and a friend are going round to the garage armed with information from trading standards and consumer protection to seek some form of compensation.

I am a little nervous about this - I have already heard stories about upset people who have confronted this garage (if only I had heard these stories before!) and who have been shown the door. Just wondered if anyone had been stung in a similar way and how they dealt with it?

I am preparing to take legal action if I get no joy tonight (am looking to be reimbursed the original cost - not letting this garage touch my lorry again!!) because the fault is so serious that I am concerned some other girly-with-a-horsebox is going to be taken for a ride like me.
mad.gif

Fortunately my current engineer has declared he can fix the problem for less than half the cost of the first place (and in less than half the labour hours than they invoiced me for) so hopefully all should be fine for next weeks re-test!!

Any advice more than welcome
confused.gif

catembi

Visit site
We paid for a full svc for our lorry cos we were going on hol with the horses & it was due its MOT on our return. £750. Off we went, swanning round hilly Gloucester with 2 horses on board...

Got back, the lorry failed its MOT v badly & they nearly made us have it towed home due to no brakes. There was a corroded brake fluid line so one set of brakes had failed & the air brakes were trying to do the job of the 'normal' brakes so they failed too. Cost £1,500 to put right.

What the hell was he doing in a full svc/pre MOT check not to notice that???? We did confront him & he just said that these things happen blah blah so we never used him again.

evsj

Visit site
Well, similar to my prob really. Last plating I was told that my rear brakes, particularly the lines needed replacing within next 500 miles as they were quite rusty. So I paid this garage a similar amount to you to have the rear brakes completely overhauled (including, as I specified, replacing the lines). Guess what wasn't done? Among other things, the brakes lines - still rusted to the point of completely corroded but luckily they have not yet burst. However, I have been very lucky cos I have had two 16.2hh horses on board on several occasions and I dread to think what could have happened.
catembi, I am suprised you didn't take it further as you have even more of a case than me!

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
i spent £600 one year at a garage who failed my box - they said i should scrap it - i didnt as i knew they said that as they break that kind of van and just wanted the parts - only minor work was done, then the year later - it failed - knowing the garage can be pretty emmm - yeah dont know how to describe it but i guess you know the type! i took it to another garage - they were used to doing boxes. i was told it needed £400 welding to pass - so i said ok - ended up costing £800 and it went for its test - just so happens (i found out later) they took it to the same garage as i had the year before - but as they had a rep for boxes - i assumed all was ok. the next year - i ended up taking it to a main ford dealer - yay they did boxes and as a main dealership - i knew it should be a true mot - what was the result - welding i had paid £800 for the year before - had only had the plates welded on 3 sides! so i had been driving round with an unsafe box !
i am now actually dating a welder - no not planned! and he says its scanderlous (sp? what they charged and even the 3 sides they did weld is of a poor quality! i confronted the garage - but as i hadnt found out until a year later, they didnt want to know. i never went down the legal route as around here - all the garages seem in cahoots with each other.

i wish you soooo much luck with your case as these kind of garages need stopping!