Lorry Batteries going flat !

kazg07

Visit site
My Lorry has had starting problems in last few months so it has so far had isolator switch fitted and around 4 weeks ago had two new batteries put in at a cost of over £200. It hasnt been used much since due to horses injury and crap weather. However, it wouldnt start today and i was quite disappointed given that its had new batteries installed. It has been sat about a bit lately and the weather has been quite cold but i wouldnt have thought they should drain that quickly especially as they are new ??

angelish

Visit site
they shouldn't drain that quick ,check the issolator connections
i had one fitted to mine and have a few problems with it ,it wouldn't start and after half an hour waiting for help i kicked it (where the batteries are) and it started
there was something not connected properly so worth getting that checked

i try to at least start mine once a fortnight (weekly normally) as it does them no good at all standing doing nothing

you'll prob get better replies but thought that may help

kazg07

Visit site
I intend to get it checked out once garage re- opens after xmas. Will maybe need to give it a good kick if it does it again ! So frustrating though and it was flat as had to get my brother to jump it with his 4x4.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
With my old lorry I used to remove the live connection to the battery. It was behind the passenger seat so just wiggled it off (sorry not very technical) someone said it was the tacho draining the battery but have no idea if true, it was a very old lorry though. My current lorry is used amost every week but if not I start it and leave it ticking over for a few minutes.

perfect11s

Visit site
My Lorry has had starting problems in last few months so it has so far had isolator switch fitted and around 4 weeks ago had two new batteries put in at a cost of over £200. It hasnt been used much since due to horses injury and crap weather. However, it wouldnt start today and i was quite disappointed given that its had new batteries installed. It has been sat about a bit lately and the weather has been quite cold but i wouldnt have thought they should drain that quickly especially as they are new ??
You should be fine if you remembered to use the isolator.. so you may have a bad conection, there is starter fault or the altenator isnt charging the baterys..
you realy need to get a decent auto electrician to check it over , but first check the conections to the baterys are clean and tight , it may be worth charging the batterys overnight and then trying again, Its also possible one is faulty!! , if they charge up and it starts ok then you may need to have the alternator checked... good fully charged baterys should hold charge for monthes if they are isolated from the lorry electrical circuits....

Last edited:

Nosey

Visit site
Yes check batteries take a charge. I got a brand new pair once & one was a dud. Took me a while to realise that...assumed as new it couldn't have been a battery problem but it was!

kazg07

Visit site
Interesting as tried jump starting one of batterys and it wouldnt go then put leads on other and it went. It was isolated as i always use this when lorry is parked up. I dont know how to remove the batterys to charge them. Will definitely be on to the auto electrician who checked it out and sold me new batteries just a few weeks ago as expected that to be the problem solved !

foraday

Visit site
As long as the isolator has been put on the earth strap not the live one (common problem) you will be fine.

You can easily charge up the batteries still on the lorry.

Once you have charged them up double check them using a volt meter and take daily readings as if the isolator switch isn't installed correctly then obviously the tacho will just drain it

Lgd

Visit site
Even with the isolator on the lorry should be started and moved at least once a week to keep all the mechanicals working, if you can't move it due to snow it should at least be run for about 90 minutes. Our mechanic is very insistent on this as he says lorries are meant to be on the road most of the time and they deteriorate faster.

Abbeygale

Visit site
It sounds like the isolator switch is in the wrong place if the battery is still draining. My dad had put a isolator switch on my lorry and I couldn't understand why the battery was still draining, but it turned out he had put the switch in the wrong place, and so power was still bein drawn from the battery :)

eggs

Visit site
I had an isolated put on my DAF which had 2 12volt batteries. 6 batteries later I changed mechanic where it was discovered that the isolated had been fitted incorrectly and was only affecting one battery. New mechanic refitted it and I haven't had a problem since.

Always use the best quality batteries you can afford.

kazg07

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice folks. Think its def problem with isolator as noticed today that when it is activated the taco is still going round! This wasnt the case prior to new batteries being fitted.

perfect11s

Visit site
I had an isolated put on my DAF which had 2 12volt batteries. 6 batteries later I changed mechanic where it was discovered that the isolated had been fitted incorrectly and was only affecting one battery. New mechanic refitted it and I haven't had a problem since.

Always use the best quality batteries you can afford.

Maybe better to allways use the best mecanic you can afford!!!!
Seriously it is so simple as to where to conect an islolator if it was a horse
it would be like a groom not knowing where to put a head collar !!!!!!:D

perfect11s

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice folks. Think its def problem with isolator as noticed today that when it is activated the taco is still going round! This wasnt the case prior to new batteries being fitted.
Doh !!! ask your man is he a moron or a cretin??? !!!!!!
I know its the season of good will and all that!!!! but realy!!! ......
hope you can find someone who has a rough idea about electrics...

kazg07

Visit site
Its weird cos it stops lights etc and starting of actual lorry but tacho still going round. Presume its that that drained the batteries .

perfect11s

Visit site
Its weird cos it stops lights etc and starting of actual lorry but tacho still going round. Presume its that that drained the batteries .
Yes sounds like it .. if you you have power near the lorry and can charge the baterys up it would be a good idea as leaving them flat will wreck them!! take one terminal off and charge one battery at a time idealy you want a charger that puts out about 12 amps, charge for about 12 hours, some chargers are automatic and will indicate when its charged, if its a less powerfull charger it will still do it but may take much longer a cheap hallfords or B&Q one will do fine hope that helps...

kazg07

Visit site
Thanks I do have a chargesr so will have a look and see if I can work it out. Alternatively if I drove it or left it running would this help ? Am so annoyed having paid out for new batterys and it was a bloody auto electrician who did it !Thanks for advice .

perfect11s

Visit site
Thanks I do have a chargesr so will have a look and see if I can work it out. Alternatively if I drove it or left it running would this help ? Am so annoyed having paid out for new batterys and it was a bloody auto electrician who did it !Thanks for advice .
You would need to run it a long time hours and hours !! simple to charge just make sure one terminal is of so power canot go back to the lorry, and you conect red wire to + black to - one batery at a time... oh its always best to take the lead to the - neg terminal off first if you try and take the pos+ off its easy to short out to the body with your spanner but whatever think about what you are doing and work carefully then you will be fine ... best to leave one terminal off when your not using the lorry untill the isolater is sorted ...

Last edited:

dieseldog

Visit site

I take the fuses out on mine just to make sure, go for the ones that have a dashboard type picture. On my Iveco that is fuse 2 and 3. I used to remove the live terminal until I melted it as it wasn't connected properly :eek:

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
It may well be that legally the tachograph must remain in operation at all times to avoid it becoming de-callibrated and therefore when an isolator is fitted it must not effect the tachograph. Therefore the tachograph will continue using battery power.

On modern day batteries one should not allow them to de-charge as they become permanently damaged.

kazg07

Visit site
I was of the opinion that so long as not over 7.5 ton or used commercially you dont need one . Phoned garage today guy tried to fob me off with excuse that its illegal to mess about with tacho . Until I told him he had done so already prior to fitting new batteries ! Hopefully get I. Fixed after new year . Thanks for advice everyone

perfect11s

Visit site
I would phone up VOSA and find out what the legal situation is regarding tachographs on non-commercial horseboxes. Then you have the facts. You can get their technical experts on 01792 454245. The contact centre is 0300 1239000
If the lorry is 7.5 ton or under and not used for comercial purposes you do not need to use a tachograph!!! just needs the old seals intact and to work as a speedo if the old type clock tacho ,if the power is interupted you
just reset the time, on the later drawer type they have a back up battery.
On a horse box you fit the isolater so it totaly disconects the baterys from the lorry...