lorry MOT

marion95

Visit site
Hi guys,

I've recently had my lorry MOT'd and although the garage assured me it wouldn't be more than £300 (after they'd looked at it) I was given a final bill for £490. I've been asking for ages for a breakdown of the bill to see what they actually did workwise - and have recently received a bill of works (of sorts) in which they have charged me for two MOT tests - the first one, which it failed and then a second which it passed(at £46 a go).

Is this normal? Whenever I've had my car done I've only been charged for one, even if they've had to retest it. Surely it's not right to charge for two when they won't have needed to do a full test the second time, just retest the bits that were wrong?

Anyone had this experience?

Thanks for reading...

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
When ours failed I represented and was charged less than the full amount I'm sure.
We had a bad experience the first time we had ours MOT, the local garage always had lots of boxes parked outside so I asked them to check it over pre plating for me whilst I was away. They hadn't done it two weeks later and I pushed when I got back, but they denied driving it at all despite two different people seeing it out on the road miles away. Anyway next week it passed and I got the bill (I had already rung and asked if it was ok and got told just a bit of work on the brakes needed doing)
The bill was £1200....
I played hell and there was also a massive scratch on what was a newly sprayed box. I paid up but never used them again, so they lost three lots of petrol sales per week, four vehicles to service and as they had also cheated other locals, they stopped selling petrol and just did repairs, as there are enough people about who didn't know of their reputation.
I would do what i did, ask for a breakdown in detail of the bill, phone the vosa place and ask what dates it got tested on and check the price, I suspect you've been overcharged...
Oh I have a fabulous garage now, couldn't recommend them any higher. Shame you aren't in Devon!

Bess

Visit site
When I had a lorry the garage did a pre-MOT thing, so anything that would'nt pass was fixed beforehand.

foraday

Visit site
The lorry test is not like the car as in you can take it back later free!

If the mechanic who takes it for the test can repair what is wrong there on site then its free. If it is more serious then the mechanic takes it away and comes back the same day then that's half fee!

If the lorry comes back the next day then its full price.

Most of the vosa testing stations expect you to rebook anyway and not turn up! They are quite strict on their testing lanes. Not forgetting testing stations can sometimes only be open twice a week!!

Yes it is a pain but its VOSA rules which is a government department!

I think your bill is quite cheap really compared to a friends bill of £1500 to get her's through its test!

spooks

Visit site
im in the middle of this at the moment, my 30 yr old lorry failed big style as it didnt have any back brakes and a couple of other minor bits needed fixing to. it failed on the 30th aug,that test cost 46 quid. had the brakes done took it back on 18th sept for retest which cost 30 quid. it failed again as one of the brake lights wasnt working so i now have to get that fixed and its got to have a complete retest as im now over the two week time scale.the two week thing is actuallyworking days and doesnt include weekends hence why mine was still eligible on the 18th for its retest. so far its cost me just over a grand and rising. it costs me 12 quid a time in diesel to get it there and back to!
dunno if that helps!