Lorry nerves

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
Hello all !! Hope everyone and their horses are fine. I bought my first lorry a few months ago. I have been driving it about getting used to it. I had a lesson from a man who runs horse transport co. Everything is great. I put my horse in it for the first time last week - everything went brilliantly !! OK I used the wrong gear a couple of times but other than that it was fine.

Why do I feel so nervous taking my horse out in the lorry ? Am going out this Sunday to SJ clinic and I have butterflies in my stomach TODAY !!! Is this normal ?? Will it go ???

Seriously if I cannot stop feeling sick with nerves each time I go out, I'll have to sell the lorry and start using horse transport companies again ?

HELP !!!!! Any tips ?????

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
It will go away. Don't worry! First time I drove our lorry was completely unexpected with no practice (poor horses!). Husband got called away last minute so I ended up having to drive my horses. Competition was three hours away on really bad roads. I was in agony by the time I got there as I'd been gripping the steering wheel so hard!

Deep breathes and relax...........

ajb

Visit site
hi HB-it will pass I promise-I have had mine nearly two years and dreaded driving it at first-a 7.5 tonne lorry and me-well dont go there-I used to get nervous about the event and even more nervous about where I could park, would I get out etc etc..last year I took the horses to the West country on hols and this year went to the Cotswolds and Norfolk-all about 3-4 hours each time and now have to say jump in and drive it and dont think about it!!..mind you I go out lots-did nearly 1000 miles last year and prob same this year-also take it out to get derv with out the horses and just practice parking/reversing etc...!!!

dieseldog

Visit site
Just drive slowly and with the opinion everyone else is an idiot and you will be fine. You've been driving it a few months and you've had no accidents so you must be doing something right!!

Just realise how well you are doing and it will get better.

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
Glad to know it's not just me !!! I will only venture locally at the moment and only if I know I will be able to turn round easily. It's a 7.5 tonne Ford Cargo and it just feels so huge ! SJ Clinic is only 10 minutes away - thank goodness ! A 3 hour journey - you need medals !!!! Thanks for your posts.

ajb

Visit site
HB-wheres the clinic-I think im pretty local to you!!
honestly the more you drive it the easier it becomes-dont know what age yours is but mine has power clutch and steering and its just like driving a car-I have to say I still hate motorways but think thats just me in general..dont worry too much about parking and turning-my experience is that there is always someone better to help the novice drivers-and once you have been towed out of a event in the spring or autumn nerves about that also go away!!!! enjoy your transport-I know it makes a huge difference to what I do with mine!

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
AJB - lorry very old but it does have excellent power steering. Clutch is as stiff as hell but I can cope with that ! I feel so silly especially as I have wanted a lorry like forever ! Now I've got one, am scared about going out in it !!

Clinic is Limpsfield RC one and is being held in Oxted. I am doing the baby class.

HB

Sparklet

Visit site
I felt exactly the same when I got my first lorry - panic stricken every time I ventured out. In fact when I got a new cab underneath the old box the same feeling returned but am fine again.

One of the best things I did was to get roadside rescue added to my insurance. I am with NFU and theirs is pretty good.

I got stuck at a show about a month ago and their service was fantastic. The mechanic worked on the lorry trying to get it to start (it did in the end) and at the same time the horse transporter kept ringing me to see if I was okay and assuring me they would come if the lorry didnt start - fantastic service.

It removed a lot of my worries

Aleka81

Visit site
Mine is only a 3.5ton lorry and I get sweaty palms and very nervous. I have only taken my boy out in it once but it was fine. You'll be fine. Just keep as calm as you can.
Good luck!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
You'll be fine! Does your horse travel ok?

I agree about the breakdown cover though VERY important. Had blow out on motorway in friends lorry, no breakdown, cost £600 to get towed off and new tyre put on.

Allow plenty of time to get there and good luck.

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
She travels and loads really well - I am very lucky ! I do have breakdown cover with Anthony Evans (touch wood I won't have to use it).

I did look at smaller lorries but they didn't have enough headroom for my mare.

AJB - where are you based ?

mandy4727

Visit site
Know where you are coming from. I wouldn't mind a lorry in the not to distance future. Well a couple of years. But I know I would be as nervous as hell about driving it, in particular with my horse in it, never mind anyone elses!!! Plus I won't even go on the motorway in my car, so what chance have I got with a waggon? so might end up chickening out and not bothering but it would be a shame to miss the opportunities that having a lorry would miss cos of your nerves. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Heidi1

Visit site
The nerves will pass, honest, just get out in it as often as you can. As for parking and reversing at shows, somebody will help, I often help people. I have a 7.5 tonne Bedford, no power steering, but love it to bits.........Good luck and enjoy your freedom........
laugh.gif

lisan

pets.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
Know where you are coming from. I wouldn't mind a lorry in the not to distance future. Well a couple of years. But I know I would be as nervous as hell about driving it, in particular with my horse in it, never mind anyone elses!!! Plus I won't even go on the motorway in my car, so what chance have I got with a waggon? so might end up chickening out and not bothering but it would be a shame to miss the opportunities that having a lorry would miss cos of your nerves. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

[/ QUOTE ]
Honestly you guys, you soon get used to it! Its all practice, the more you use it the easier it becomes. I was driving mine round full time when my car broke down, swung into a parking space a the yard, forgot I was'nt in the car!!

I think its easier driving down the motorway than normal roads, the bits I find hardest are roundabouts, cos you are just about stopped, into 2nd to pull away and someone comes flying round, not indicating. Or 50 mph roads/dual carrigeways, going about 40, lights are on green, still on green, you are beyond the point of being able to brake in time and they change!!!!!! Can't beleive I've not been pulled yet for going thru on red!

evsj

Visit site
I also thought it was just me who got lorry nerves! Only had mine 10 months after selling my disco and trailer - think I only used it 3 times in the first 4 months as I was so put off driving it. However, tatty looking as he is (hoping to get the cab 'pimped' next month) he's safely taking me and my horse from Kent to Windsor Show and back which gave me loads of confidence. Also used him to move house with earlier this month - I think that practising driving without a horse on board really helps you to get a feel for the lorry.
I was thinking of going back to a 4x4 and trailer earlier this year but everyone at my new yard seems to have gone for the lorry option. Just be prepared and take your time when you are going to an event - let everyone overtake u if they want to take the risk....slow and steady wins the race!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
My knees knocked the first few times I drove ours, it had a new respray on it and our mirrors touch the hedges here, so nerve making.
My cousin who is a tabker driver said ditch the car for the whole week and make yourself use it like your car. A week later I had done the school run (I bet others loved me!) driven and parked in Tesco etc and had no fears whatsoever.
Since then (9 years ago) I've rarely even thought about it, and the fear has disappeared. Try it, I promise it works.

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
Lorry update !!! I went out on Sunday and everything went really well !! Angel loaded brilliantly. I drove very slowly and ignored the cars behind. My only tiny fault was that I stopped a little sharply when we arrived at the SJ clinic. Angel didn't move so it can't have been that bad.

Amazingly I managed to concentrate on the SJ clinic instead of being worried about the journey home and she went really nicely and was such a good girl.

I drove home absolutely fine !!!! She didn't even sweat up and seemed quite chilled. And guess what ??? I even turned lorry round OK without asking my friend !!!
grin.gif

This Sunday I am venturing a little further into Sussex and I am already very anxious, especially as I don't know the journey too well.

It's good to know I'm not the only one with lorry nerves !!! For the time being, I shall persevere. I would drive to work but it already takes me an hour in my car !

Thanks so much everyone. Emma x