lorry not starting today :-(

Nosey

Visit site
This is a first for my geriatric but totally reliable lorry of 12 years. I had charged the battery wiv isolator on. Went to start-up today. Dash lit up then just got a click click sound...completely flat as a pancake! Any ideas as to what that may be...batterys died? /alternator? I wasn't too upset as it got me out of jumping in the rain today but will have to get it sorted. Thanks

mutley75

Visit site
Lots of presumptions but, if it is a cargo and you have good dash lights probably the starter motor. On cargo's this is fixed with a well positioned bash! Tell us what sort of truck and might narrow it down a bit.

Nosey

Visit site
Ok thanks both. If it is the batteries at least that's a relatively simple & DIY solution. Batteries not that old tho...18mths or so & are varta ones. Suppose infrequent use not good for them. Not been out much since summer.

perfect11s

Visit site
Thanks mutley...it's a vw man.
try jump starting it if it starts you have narrowed it down to a batery problem!!! best bet is check the conections to the baterys have worked lose if you have corosion pour boiling water over it and remove the terminals wire brush and spray it WD 40 then re tighten ,otherwise its likley one or both the batterys are flat or knakered I would disconect them a charge them one at a time for about 24 hours with a small car battery charger try it and if you are still having trouble you need someone to test the batterys and the alternator output...