lorry quieres -ford transits????

scribble

Visit site
I hve a youngster who i am going to break this summer and am looking to get a small lorry to use next year to start getting her out and about. she will be 17hands.

I am looking at getting a cheap one to see how we get on and a lot are ford transits but have heard they may not be reliable. is this true???

I can drive a 7.5ton but am looking at 3.5 tons as dont know how much plating is on 7.5tonners and want to keep costs down.

not really worried about weight with 3.5 ton as only have one horse.

any advice greatly welcome and choc for getting this far

lauraandjack

Visit site
From looking into this for myself I would say you would have a job finding a transit type with sufficient headroom for a 17hh although you would probably get away with the weight. A lot of them seem quite poky so ok for ponies or something up to about 15hh, but no good for giraffes.

carmenlucy123

Visit site
hmmm maybe in a transit with an ifor on top but you'll be hard pushed!
i only have 800kg payload on mine and its VERY minimalistic I think there are better vans out there
if i could do it again id get a trailer!!!

teresagarsden

Visit site
My transit is great, always starts first time and runs perfect. However mine will take 16hh at the very most, also to get a horse that big in one you would have to back out down the ramp and this could be a problem, I have a 15hh welsh cob and i dismantle the partitions and turn him in the box but its a squeeze.
Good luck but i do think you may be better with a trailer.
Teresa

LCobby

Visit site
For headrom, comfort and stability , with one that size, go for a compact 5 or 6 tonner.?
Insurance, road tax and MOT will be about the same as for a 3.5 tonner. When we upgraded from a one horse 3.5 to a 7.5 we found little difference in annual running costs.

You wil also find a wider choice and value as 3.5 are so popular for those who have not got 7.5 tonne licences,

perfect11s

Visit site
I dont think we should call any of these 3.5 ton vans lorrys!!
they are fine for kids with ponys , or billy no mates with one horse.. why spend as much on a tiny wobley toy when you can get a proper thing for the money and have some fun going with friends and there horses.. have some thing in the fridge or a kettle on the hob for afterwards or during the show..... your own toilet and shower and space for tack food, feed and clothes..
Anyone want to form the its only a lorry if its over 3.5 tonne
clique
grin.gif
grin.gif

perfect11s

Visit site
Its gone up to £75 I think from 50 something... nice as we are always being told that inflation is nearly in reverse
confused.gif
... so its about £24 more than a car mot, The cost of plating will depend on how much work if any the lorry needs just like anything else...

Eye_Spy

Visit site
Agree with Tree, my transit is very reliable getting me to the vets and back god knows how many times in the last two years inc the RVC from N.Leics.

Don't think you stand a chance head room wise with 17hh as we've just put a side ramp on to make it easier to get 14.1 coblet out!!
smile.gif

jipdog7

www.northernhorseboxes.co.uk
For a start Ford Transits aren't big enough to make decent 3.5tonne box. That is why you see most conversions on Renault Master vans.

The versions we make have a 7ft internal height which is about the same as a standard trailer. We have travelled horses of 17hds without any problem and have the photos to prove it!

Always makes me laugh when people like perfect11s are so snobbish about the van conversions. Most haven't even been near a decent one and put more thought into where to hang their clothes and having a toilet missing the fact that not everyone wants to spend days away at a time.

We can fit sockets to plug a kettle in and have also done a version with a mini fridge so the owner can have a cold can of drink after a ride.

We even have one for sale at the moment which has a gas hob & sink but then then the previous owner was a "billy no mates" with a large mare...

Scribble if I can help any further feel free to contact me.