Lorry Satnavs, recommenations?

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Hi all,

Anyone got a lorry satnav recommendations? Its only for a 3.5 tonner but am sick of being sent down stupid side roads and narrow tracks to save 1 min on journey times 😏 One I can put dimensions in and that will actually pay attention to them ideally 😂

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
ooh also interested. I tend to just use google maps at the moment cos I've always got my phone on me and it's so easy, but when I haven't a bleeding clue where I'm going it does send you down some funny routes which you don't know to ignore :p I don't mind too much in the 3.5t but I'm supposed to be swapping to a 7.5t and that won't be so fun :rolleyes:

oldie48

Visit site
I'm also following, I've had some horrible experiences including up a single track lane that got steeper and steeper until I was in first gear and barely moving. Absolutely nowhere to turn round and poor horse must have been almost upside down (rear facing 3.5) when I arrived at my destination I was told the locals don't even drive their car that way! Bloody Satnav!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Can't help with a current satnav but I used to have a Garmin Nuvi and on that you could change the setting from car to motorcycle, pedestrian & also Lorry. I've since had a replacement Garmin but it doesn't now have that setting? change

quizzie

Visit site
I have a Garmin Dezl 760...with specific lorry dimensions you can put in , so warns of low bridges/weight limits.
It does try to keep you on A roads as much as possible, so still research new routes in advance, as shorter ways can be feasible!...but better that way round I think.

Moogleberry

Visit site
I have a Garmin Camper 770LMT-D and it’s been great, I tried it on a route I do a lot and it did avoid the shorter narrow route and took me down the bigger roads

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Tomtom professional. I would reccomend it to anyone...ive had mine a year its in use every day and it never lets me down.
Def this! (Tho I dont use it but DH does regularly)

Also use Streetview before you go, to get an idea of local landmarks and roads, this has really helped me in the past and recently to one dastardly place with a noxious access route.

luckyoldme

Visit site
Def this! (Tho I dont use it but DH does regularly)

Also use Streetview before you go, to get an idea of local landmarks and roads, this has really helped me in the past and recently to one dastardly place with a noxious access route.
This is good advice too..if im going somewhere new i would have a look definately
Im an artic driver. Most of the drivers i know have the tomtom although others have tried cheeper versions.its like everything else ...you get what you pay for!

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
This is good advice too..if im going somewhere new i would have a look definately
Im an artic driver. Most of the drivers i know have the tomtom although others have tried cheeper versions.its like everything else ...you get what you pay for!

It stems from being an ex class 1 driver myself, nothing worse than taking a big wagon load of horses many miles and then a tortuous last mile. Always phoned ahead to check, if it was a new drop off. The internet would have been very useful then :)
That said, nothing prepared me for the negotiation of the steep long ramp to get the 38 footer into the drop off zone at Essen one year!

luckyoldme

Visit site
It stems from being an ex class 1 driver myself, nothing worse than taking a big wagon load of horses many miles and then a tortuous last mile. Always phoned ahead to check, if it was a new drop off. The internet would have been very useful then :)
That said, nothing prepared me for the negotiation of the steep long ramp to get the 38 footer into the drop off zone at Essen one year!
Its funny i was talking to another lady driver the other day and she said had i noticed that nearly all lady truckers had horsey pasts. I had 10 years out and csme back on the road last year. Sat navs are much better than the old a to zs..as your eyesight got worsr you had to buy the bigger ones...do you think the weight and height settings would work for a 3.5 tonner?
Its not teally that much bigger than a pick up and theres not mamy roads you cant take them on?

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Its funny i was talking to another lady driver the other day and she said had i noticed that nearly all lady truckers had horsey pasts. I had 10 years out and csme back on the road last year. Sat navs are much better than the old a to zs..as your eyesight got worsr you had to buy the bigger ones...do you think the weight and height settings would work for a 3.5 tonner?
Its not teally that much bigger than a pick up and theres not mamy roads you cant take them on?
I've not had the need to want one in my dinky toy 3.5, only 1 bridge locally that I cant use really and that's due to width not height restrictions 😂
If I go a long distance these days onto new ground, I just use Streetview and do the old directions on post it or old envelope (inc get out route if needed)

luckyoldme

Visit site
I've not had the need to want one in my dinky toy 3.5, only 1 bridge locally that I cant use really and that's due to width not height restrictions 😂
If I go a long distance these days onto new ground, I just use Streetview and do the old directions on post it or old envelope (inc get out route if needed)
Would you ever go back?
Im finding it a lot better this time round although hard to believe the same showers are still out of order now that were u/s then!

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Would you ever go back?
Im finding it a lot better this time round although hard to believe the same showers are still out of order now that were u/s then!
No, I can't, as would fail medical on my right eye, but wouldn't go back now as too much liking home comforts lol. It was fine in my 20s and 30s but not in my late 50s now x

Bernster

Visit site
I’ve followed threads like this over the years and there doesn’t seem to be a stand out, particularly not an app that does this for lorries.

Best I used years ago was snooper. You can put your exact dimensions into that. Garmin was ok but it just had a bus/lorry category which didn’t seem to make much difference. But neither had traffic and think the garmin sent me down very narrow country roads. But the tech will have improved since then.

I use google maps and it’s been pretty good but agree for new venues you need to check the route and street view any tricky bits. I’ve had a 3.5t so it hasn’t been an issue but do wonder if I need to get a proper truck one now that I have a 4.5t!

rara007

Visit site
I have a £40 one from amazon and it does the job just as well as the ££££ tomtom that’s in our tow car! I was surprised- it even did abroad! It’s a little quirky and you mustn’t let it run out of battery (30min to turn back on) or lose where you are (if you turn it off then drive somewhere, turn it on, it’ll be a good 10min to find you!) but it’s my friend....!

luckyoldme

Visit site
No, I can't, as would fail medical on my right eye, but wouldn't go back now as too much liking home comforts lol. It was fine in my 20s and 30s but not in my late 50s now x
Oh sorry to hear about your eye!..im early 50s and ive hit on a decent job for a firm who are good to work for. I joined bannatynes gymn so most nights i get a sauna...how things have changed!!!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I had one called a pro nav which was really good. You could put the dimensions in and preference for main roads etc. However looks like they don't make them anymore.

Visit site
I'm also following, I've had some horrible experiences including up a single track lane that got steeper and steeper until I was in first gear and barely moving. Absolutely nowhere to turn round and poor horse must have been almost upside down (rear facing 3.5) when I arrived at my destination I was told the locals don't even drive their car that way! Bloody Satnav!

Been there, done that! Also following..