Lorry Test

Tempi

Visit site
Has anyone here taken their lorry test?

What does it involve? How much did it cost you roughly for lessons and then for your exam?

Do i need to apply for a provisional lorry liscence or does it just go on my car liscence?

See, i really havent a clue!
confused.gif

And yes i have looked on the DVLA website but there is so much stuff on there that i dont know what id have to do and what i wouldnt!! And its not very clear for simple old me either!
grin.gif

GinaB

Visit site
All I know is that is is very dear! (depending on what kind of class of hgv it is) talking hundred's of pounds.

*toodles off to check out the DVLA website*

ETS - What size of lorry are you wanting to take your test for?

Tempi

Visit site
i havent got a clue what HGV places near me teach you to drive, i dont even think there are any near me
crazy.gif
Altho i suppose there must be one somewhere................

what about my liscense tho? do i have to apply for an HGV provisional?

Rambo

Visit site
If you're going to take your lorry test, you might as well take it for the very largest ! The cost difference will be minimal, and you'll be able to drive any size lorry afterwards ! Could be a useful thing depending on how heavy your 7.5t lorry actually is with your 2 horses on it
wink.gif

I haven't done the test, but have been told by others that it is around the £1k mark for the tuition and the test
smile.gif

Tempi

Visit site
we actually took our lorry on a weigh bridge the other day with tack and two horses in it and in was under the limit which i was pleased about as ive been worrying about it for ages!!

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
About £1000 including lessons, tests, theory etc, BUT, as you are a girl, you may be entitled to a discount, the best thing is to contact the DVLA, and also your local employment people, mention career change etc, and you may qualify for a grant, sometimes you have to do NVQ things as part of it, but it depends on your age, also for what it costs you might as well take the test for a class 2 & 3 rather than just a class 3 (means you can drive any size rigid, and doesn't cost any more)

Tempi

Visit site
oh, il do both classes then if it wont cost much more - £1000 is enough as it is, il have to start saving!! Mum is going to put me on our insurance for our lorry so i can practice in that aswell.

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
good idea, but 1 tip, they are testing you to be a lorry driver, delivering cornflakes, etc, not horses, and are quite iffy if you slow down to early before a roundabout/lights etc, so i'd try and do lots of driving with the lorry empty rather than with your horse in, otherwise you may drive 'too carefully' for a 'normal' trucker! stupid really, but they can be funny with horsey girls (becasue we are so obviously spoilt by our rich daddys....we wish!)

H-J

www.piczo.com
Where did you do the online theory??? Could you post the address please.

Im going to try and take my test next year!

Ive heard that some places do a crash week of lessons with test at the end for around £600 ish.

Nic

Visit site
I have just started to look into doing mine as I am 21 in 2 weeks. You do need a provisional license & it will cost roughly £1k to do. The provisional works in the same way as your cars so you can go out driving with someone who has held their HGV for 3 years or more
grin.gif

kirstyfk

Visit site
My sister was looking into it a couple of years ago and was thinking of doing the HGV test instead of the normal lorry test as it was not much more and means you can drive bigger lorries!

foraday

Visit site
You need to get a provisional licence first before sticking L plates on your lorry!

Go on to the dvla site and you will see that there is an application pack to get for a HGV (LGV) licence-you will need to go to your doctor for a medical first before DVLA will accept you to have a HGV provisional licence. Once you have got this then I suggest you take your theory test which consists of the theory and hazard perception test.

I suggest you do your class 2 hgv which allows you to drive upto 33 tons in a rigid lorry-no point in just taking a 7.5t as you will need to take another test for over 7.5t!

If you google hgv instructors it will come up with loads of driving schools for lorries.

costs between £700-£1000 depending upon the company. Some companies are offering interst free credit and monthly payments to help people gain their hgv.

ecrozier

Visit site
I've just started looking into this as well, didn't know there were any places near me but turns out there are two in my local big town! They've said about £1000 by the time all is considered, 5 day course, plus theory, medical etc. Definately going to go for the bigger one though, if it is the same price. Pain in the backside really but I can see the logic, I had to do my trailer test a few years back, and although it was a drag and cost a bit, I am a much more competant and confidant trailer driver because of it!
Good luck! (i'm going to need it!)

gnubee

Visit site
Does the Lorry test let you bypass the trailer test, like the class 2 hgv lets you bypass class 3, or are they treated as completely seperate things?

ecrozier

Visit site
Yes I think it does! I got them the wrong way around didn't i.... but at the time didn't realise quite how much I would end up travelling them.

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
no it doesn't, i have my class 2, but STILL can't tow a trailer!! i also think if you take your class 1 (articulated lorry) you still need to take your B+E (car & trailer) as you would just have C+E.... total rip off in my opinion!

ecrozier

Visit site
Gosh, really? I wasn't sure. Crazy huh? How did you find doing your class 2? I am in the process of booking my medical etc to get started on it. Bizarrely enough quite looking forward to driving the big trucks! Do you have to repeat the medical etc every few years or is it a one off?

tazet

Visit site
hi it is great fun driving big lorries i love it, i did my class 1 (C+E) about 2 years ago and i love it as far as your medical goes you have to do one now as you know then when you reach 45 years old its every 5 years till you hit 65 then its yearly.