Lorry to rent for the summer?

spotty_pony

I'm really wanting to be able to get out and about this coming season and do a bit of a competing with one of my horses, and I'm also planning on producing a couple of horses over the summer so having transport would be a real plus point. Myself and a few people at my yard have been talking about maybe buying one between us (to keep costs down and for the amount everyone would actually use it, it would make more sense.) Then, I came up with the idea that maybe to start with we should hire one between us to see how much we actually use it, we wouldn't have full responsibility over maintenance as I guess that would be part of the hire charge - and also to make sure sharing a lorry actually suits everybody before we go ahead and buy.

So, I guess my question is - does anybody know of anywhere who does this where it doesnt cost the earth? I'm in Leicestershire but willing to travel to collect right lorry. It has to be a 7.5 tonne (or at least a lorry which is rear loading and herringbone because one of my horses isn't keen on the little lorries or trailers - hence why I am so specific. Alternatively, does anybody on here have a lorry they aren't currently using? Sometimes, it does people a favour if the lorry is being used regularly especially if it's a bit older to keep everything working better. Please pm me if you do and I'll be happy to discuss.

Thank you :)

be positive

I think hiring for the summer from a company will be prohibitively expensive, privately I don't think many people will want to risk a half decent lorry on a long term arrangement, building in maintenance costs on top of the normal running expenses and the additional insurance costs as it is being hired will probably make the arrangement difficult, there was something set up some years ago with lorries being shared but I think it failed to take off because of the high risk involved and lorries being returned damaged, insurance will not cover general wear and tear, an unruly horse can do a lot in one journey that would just be considered normal use for insurance purposes or not worth claiming due to the excess.

I think it is going to be hard to manage a shared box if everyone part owns it, a better idea may be for one person to buy and find a way of 'selling' shares in it, a bit like a timeshare, but that still leaves it open to being abused, everyone needs to pay towards running costs but the owner would have the overall responsibility for general maintenance and still has an asset to sell if they want, I can see arguments if it is equally shared and someone gives up and wants to leave.

ihatework

Agree with BP, sounds ike one whopping great headache and disaster waiting to happen.

I’d hire a 3.5t as and when needed, sharing the cost if possible.

There is a place local to me with really lovely new Bloomfields for £60 half day, £90 weekday and £100 weekend day that also do a package if you buy X hires in advance. If you aren’t a regular traveller, having done the sums, it’s actually cheaper than owning your own. But of course it’s drpendant on having such a company local enough that it’s not a hassle.

spotty_pony

Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately I can’t hire a 3.5 tonne box as my horse hates them. I would love to buy my own and then just rent to others but currently do not have the funds to do this.

I just thought it might suit somebody who hunted during the winter and then their box just sits there unused all summer. I love my hunting too but currently have nothing to hunt so this would suit me fine.

tbh OP knowing how much it costs to keep my lorry on the road in a year and how much the insurance would be to hire it (with a whacking great excess your end) there's no way I would consider it. Over the years I've known several hire companies stop trading because the paperwork and costs were not worth the wear and tear. People just couldn't/wouldnt pay up when someone's horse wrecked it. There was actually a company set up called 'hire my horsebox' that ultimately failed due to insurance issues.
Also knowing how much it costs to keep my lorry on the road, its almost certainly cheaper to hire a self drive unless you are out weekly.

I've only known one case of people sharing a lorry, it didn't end well. Sorry to be a downer, I wanted a lorry all my life-I now have one and its a lot of money to write off every year.

ester

Not slacking-multitasking
I've known one case of two people sharing too, even though friends it still caused issues with who had put what diesel in it, who was having it when etc...

Bernster

I’ve come across the longer term hire companies but I think it works out very expensive. It tends to work out cheaper to hire it ad hoc than buy your own unless you’re out a lot. I did share mine with a good friend and it worked well but we had the same view on things, she used it when I wasn’t and we never had to contend with any big damage issues etc. Even then she ended up getting her own so the share still didn’t totally suit.

Wheels

I would maybe share with one very good friend but even then would want everything in writing and allocated days / weekends that could be swapped if necessary.

In terms of hire, I looked into it, 6 months to a year gives the most cosy effective but I could have bought a good quality 2nd hand box with the same money

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
I'd rather my lorry sat doing nothing, which it currently mainly is, than hire it out simply because, as others have said, the potential for damage. Mine and friends' horses have already rearranged bits of it and it's quite a tough little box.

Could you look into buying one using a 0% credit card (if your finances comfortably allow etc.)?