Lorry weight Query.

piaffe

Visit site
Have confused myself a little.
blush.gif

I have a 3.5 t lorry. it is a 2 horse. I want to put a 13.2 and a lightweight 15hh in it, but have no idea if i can do this? is the 3.5 the weight of the lorry or the max weight?
confused.gif
confused.gif

lorenababbit

Visit site
you will almost certainly be over the weight but as someone said take it unloaded to a weighbridge and then you will be able to establish how much payload you have left over for the horses. remember the 3.5 tonne thing is the TOTAL weight loaded not just the weight of the cargo.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Or even better....take it loaded to a weighbridge
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Might be risky if it was a VOSA run weighbridge and lorry turned out to be overweight.
shocked.gif

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or even better....take it loaded to a weighbridge
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Might be risky if it was a VOSA run weighbridge and lorry turned out to be overweight.
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I had the same dilemna at the weekend....was driving past a weighbridge and thought shall I just check it out, but then thought I might get in trouble if we were over
shocked.gif

Does anyone know if you can just turn up to the weighbridges anyway ? What's the procedure ?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
3.5 ton in the maximum weight. You need to fill the fuel tank, fill water tank if you have one, load up your tack, water canisters, saddles etc infact everything you take on your outings including driver & passengers & go to a weigh bridge. Get the lot weighed & then subtract that weight from the 3.5 tons & that is the weight of horses you can carry. You'll be surprised that alot of lorries advertised as 2 or three horse lorries may have the space to take them but they don't have the scope weight wise to carry them.
frown.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You can just turn up at public weigh bridges, you may need to phone up private ones though. There's a large scrap yard near me & they have a weighbridge that is used by lorries etc but I think you need to call ahead of time...they may charge aswell for any printout.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You can just turn up at public weigh bridges, you may need to phone up private ones though. There's a large scrap yard near me & they have a weighbridge that is used by lorries etc but I think you need to call ahead of time...they may charge aswell for any printout.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great. Thanks
smile.gif

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Chrimbo if you still have your brake printout from your plate the weight is on there. Each axle and the total weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i've got that, but I took everything out of the lorry when it went for it's plating. I know how much it weighs 'empty', I want to know how much of my 1750kgs spare I use with two horses, a generator, 2 saddles, 2 bridles, water, 2 adults, 2 children and a dog etc
smile.gif