Lorry without tilt cab

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
We have seen a lovely lorry that we want to buy but our mechanic is not impressed even though he hasnt seen it because it is not a tilt cab so a bit trickier to work on.
It is an Iveco 75E15.
Has anybody else got a lorry without a tilt cab. I know it will be extra on servicing costs due to being awkward to work on but are they possible.
If we did go ahead we would get it fully checked over first.
Any advice please. I know we shouldnt buy it maybe but it is nice!
smile.gif

walkandtrot

Visit site
Think very carefully, it will be MAJOR work if something goes in the engine, and even if it gets a clean bill of health thats not to say something wont go wrong the next day/week/month, good things come to those who wait, and going by how many horseboxes are for sale in the H+ H and on the internet, you should be able to take your pick!

Thistle

Visit site
There should be a way of accessing everything, either a hatch through the living bulkhead of a plate in the cab, under the passenger seat of around the gearbox.

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
I have a lorry without a tilt cab and to be honest getting to everything IS possible but is a proper pain in the proverbial!
blush.gif

You have to be a contortionist just to get the batteries off and as for getting to the starter motor - ha!

I would imagine your mechanic is thinking more about this than anything!

MissMoo

Visit site
My old lorry didn't have a tilt cab but you could access everything via a hatch in the living area with ease. Didn't cause us any problems but I'm not a mechanic!! If you use him regularly and trust him, perhaps its best to heed his advice
confused.gif

madmuppet

Visit site
I aint a mechanic but my husband is an hgv mechanic and he says there is no way in the world he would let me get a truck without a tilt cab cause they are a complete pain the butt to work on.. Yes you can access most things but its not easy. If you break down at side of road its not going to be easy to get you going again if the cab dont tilt.. Fair enought, wrap round cabs look nicer but they are much more difficult to work on.. I have a truck with a tilt cab and its not a prob to work on at all..

catembi

Visit site
I had one without a tilt cab. The radiator & the water pump went on it at separate times & you have to virtually disembowel it to get at anything, working at arm's length & not able to see what you're doing. A 4 hour job took 3 days with both of us working on it & me having to do some of the fiddling cos my hands are smaller & my arms are thinner.

We had to get the water pump back in by taking out the passenger seat, letting a piece of baler twine down thru a tiny hatch, tying it round the water pump & pulling it back up.

Never again.

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
Boo Hoo *runs off crying* looks like I wont be having a shiny new lorry on my doorstep this weekend then. Must say I am disappointed as it was right for us but hand on heart I knew it was a bad idea.
It is my luck too that it goes wrong!
Thanks for all your comments, any more would be appreciated
smile.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Unfortunately it doesn't matter how reliable a lorry has been at some point it will have a problem & the mechanic needs to get access to the the problem & everything is considerably more time consuming without a tilt cab. Additionally the longer it takes to service/ repair the longer it will be off the road & you will be without it. The best thing, as I think you've realised, is go with what your mechanic says. There are plenty of lorries out there & you'll find another.
smile.gif

pathelschoice

Visit site
we do build vehicles without the tilt, but do make sure that a bonnet and inspection panel has been cut away below the passenger seating and also the engine water and oil filler points have been relocated to the exterior of the vehicle. We have had no problems re: servicing etc with our non- tilt options, but to make you aware that the non tilt is more expensive to service as slightly more labour time is needed.

walkandtrot

Visit site
Don't Be Sad! there's always a good reason for things happening in life, there's a BIG SHINY LORRY sitting waiting for you round the corner (not literally) and you'll be so glad because if you had engine trouble you would have been a lot lot sadder!

pathelschoice

Visit site
sorry but was that directed at me!!! just to let you know some people are actually happy of advice, not like your self obviously and seeing as this is NOT your thread then keep your nasty comments to your self

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Most if not all commercial vehicles of 6.5 tons or over are built with a cab that tilts to make it easy to service and maintain them. If a major component such as the engine requires replacing then again this can be done.

A non-tilt cab makes it almost impossible to change or recondition an engine as the only access to it will be to remove the front wheels, suspension, shock absorbers etc and even possibly part of the engine mounting support frame. This makes it an enormous if not an impossible job to do.

WFL

Visit site
A friend of mine has a coach-built Iveco and the guys who service it loathe it. It needs a mechanic who is also a gynaecologist lol.

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine has a coach-built Iveco and the guys who service it loathe it. It needs a mechanic who is also a gynaecologist lol.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats more or less what our mechanic said. He was not impressed!
Oh where to find a nice lorry with a tilt cab?
confused.gif

Thistle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Most if not all commercial vehicles of 6.5 tons or over are built with a cab that tilts to make it easy to service and maintain them. If a major component such as the engine requires replacing then again this can be done.

A non-tilt cab makes it almost impossible to change or recondition an engine as the only access to it will be to remove the front wheels, suspension, shock absorbers etc and even possibly part of the engine mounting support frame. This makes it an enormous if not an impossible job to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter that's how it used to be years ago, however many of the major lotty manufacturers now do not use tilt cab.

Taboo1968

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or failing that my son who is doing a motor vehicle maintenance course and is skinny enough and still short enough to get under the wheel arch and actually stand up underneath to do little things like topping up power steering fluid!!!

And I have piccies to prove it!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif