Lorry wouldnt start today :-(

Nosey

Visit site
This is a first for my geriatric but totally reliable lorry of 12 years. I had charged the battery wiv isolator on. Went to start-up today. Dash lit up then just got a click click sound...completely flat as a pancake! Any ideas as to what that may be...batterys died? /alternator? I wasn't too upset as it got me out of jumping in the rain today but will have to get it sorted. I've also posted in NL but there might be more lorry users here! Thanks in advance.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Probably your battery, i've just replaced one on mine, always trickle charge from solar and run regularly, plus levels kept topped up

Dad took the offended battery off, charged it and tried a desulfinator on it, but 2 cells have gone so it's dead.

Easiest thing is to use a voltmeter to test each battery. It is advised to replace both batteries as they are a pair, but this means £200 rather than £100

Also ask for a maintenance free battery as then the levels don't really need topping up (under normal conditions)

Tangaroo

Visit site
Could be the starter motor. Mine does that sometimes but if i wiggle the key and try again it starts. Mine has had a new starter motor 2 or 3 yrs ago and OH is going to check the connections on it as he says thats what the clicking is.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Could be the starter motor (or soleniod).
Worth you giving the starter motor a gentle tap with a hammer.

Also, take the terminals off the battery & clean them & then replace & double check the connections are good.

Finally, check battery is holding its charge as if even 1 cell has gone down it wont hold charge for long at all - how old is the battery? There is a limit that you can keep re-charging them.

Good luck :)

Amazona

Visit site
I presume you have 2 batteries on your lorry
Were you charging both at the same time .. you will need 2 seperate chargers.
otherwise you will be charging them forever !!
make sure you leave them charging long enough ... look at the type of charger and there recommended times ...hope it helps

Fourlegsgood

Visit site
Def worth checking the connections to the battery(ies) and also checking the earth connection onto the chassis. A but of corrosion can easily give the same symptoms as a duff battery.

dieseldog

Visit site
Sounds like starter motor. Did it just click? No dead sounding battery?

If you know what it looks like and hit it, it will work, a quick fix if you are stuck at a show and want to go home. It sort of gets stuck, you knock it and it works again. It might go once a month, or it might go more often.