Losing Hope- please offer any advice

Bernster

Visit site
I signed up to goresbridge and watched the live stream, in case I might end up buying via auction. It was interesting to watch but I wasn’t tempted fortunately - I need to ride a horse really to know if we will get on ok.

For me, timing Was also an issue as I could only view at the weekend. Worked out in the end though and it will for you I’m sure.

FireCracker238

Visit site
Last year, the idea of a rare old classic car of a specific type and even rarer colour was in my mind. I looked around, couldnt find anything. Not many exported to my country either so rare to find here, thought id have to import one. Found some similar ones but not really what I had in mind. Stopped looking, let the idea go….focused instead on other stuff of life for a couple of months then bam! Local ads site i was looking at horses, then did a car search out of the blue, 40 mins away the exact car, exact colour and exact year was being sold for a stupidly cheap price!! It was insane how perfectly It filled all the criteria! Even had a favourite cd of mine left in the cd player! Lol
12 months later its mostly been under a tarp due to covid, and its worth double what i paid ?
Is there a thread on this car somewhere else on the forum? I'd love to see it ?

MS does it have to be Dad that takes you to view, would no horsey friends go with you that may take you further afield

PurBee

Visit site
thank you so much! patience is definitely a hard lesson to learn but i feel you’re right. i’m going to a horse auction today (not really looking to buy just looking around) and i think i’m going to take your advice and let the idea go for a while and hope that something comes to me instead. thank you :))

Just know your ‘ideal’ is waiting for you. It may well be at the auction today. You never know. Going to the auction with the attitude of willing to not buy if nothing suits well is ideal.

The car i mentioned, while i had the idea of it, at the time was actually was based in the uk - then it was sold to someone in northern ireland who worked on the engine, during the time i decided to ‘stop active searching’…..but he decided to sell it when he fixed it, as he likes doing up cars, and next wanted a camper van to do up, so he found a campervan at a garage near to me and part-ex the car for the campervan. The garage owner knew nothing about classic cars so sold it much cheaper than market value…. thats how it magically imported itself practically to my front door for me to buy it!

EF2FEF80-C658-4F05-87AF-F894E96790D9.jpeg1B6ED8AB-AB0A-46D7-A626-8864BEDFA1BF.jpeg

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
Maybe you can take comfort in not being among the presumably many new owners who've found themselves with an unsuitable/broken animal because they've been so desperate to buy that they haven't had the normal opportunity of a couple of days to think about it, or a second viewing (or even a first viewing in many cases!) etc etc.

With a number of those horses that have been "snapped up" from under your nose, you've probably dodged a bullet ?‍♀️

Flame_

Visit site
yes maybe; i’ve seen quite a few that would be perfect but are in scotland (6 hours away). thank you :) x

It's the longest day this weekend. You could travel there, view at least 2, stay over and view another two, then travel home all (except the sleepover) within daylight. Everyone loves a road trip! Enjoy the excitement and adventure of your horse hunt and I hope you find the right one soon.

SO1

Visit site
It is peak time for people wanting to buy pony club ponies for summer holidays. People with something suitable may want to keep them and sell in the autumn after the school holidays.

If you can hold out till the autumn you will probably get a better quality pony for the budget you have.

Cutgrass

Visit site
I came on to say wait until Autumn too. People go mad wanting something for summer to make the most of the long days.

mazsullivan

Visit site
Maybe you can take comfort in not being among the presumably many new owners who've found themselves with an unsuitable/broken animal because they've been so desperate to buy that they haven't had the normal opportunity of a couple of days to think about it, or a second viewing (or even a first viewing in many cases!) etc etc.

With a number of those horses that have been "snapped up" from under your nose, you've probably dodged a bullet ?‍♀️

very very true thank you :)

mazsullivan

Visit site
I came on to say wait until Autumn too. People go mad wanting something for summer to make the most of the long days.

yes i agree i think that might be what i’ll do. it would’ve been ideal to buy one so i could go out and have fun competing throughout the summer, train through the winter and event next season however i think i may just wait until september time instead :)

marmalade76

Visit site
i’m really praying that it does because i would love to find one this summer so we can get out competing otherwise the summer will be wasted. i was looking last winter too and there were so many i remember it so clearly and now it’s so rare to find one that is fairly priced. any chance anyone has a 14hh-14.2hh for sale?

Probably going to advertise mine but he's an arab and won't be cheap.

Annagain

Visit site
Have a google for Nolton stables. They are (were) a trekking centre in Pembrokeshire and have been forced to close due to Covid. They're selling off all their horses. I had a quick look at the list and i'm sure there were a couple of 14.2 geldings on there. I've ridden there once or twice and their horses were lovely, not your average trekking centre horses, they do all sorts, especially over the winter.

Frumpoon

Visit site
My friend just sold a smashing 14.2 for approx £4k, I don't know why but he was hard to sell...so many viewings, a trial that he was returned from, a vetting, the list goes on

He was a little smasher too

They are out there definitely

Highflinger

Visit site
I think she is based in Norfolk so maybe too far but Jess at Cobland often seems to have nice cob types and I think she has a good reputation.
As others have said NFED is good
Have you contacted your local riding / pony clubs to see if anyone is selling.
Got my boy a few years ago via someone on here!
Good luck

Visit site
Have you looked on 'right horse, right home'? There are lots of horses on there whose owners are more concerned on matching them to a suitable owner rather than a quick sale and I find the adverts really descriptive.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I know exactly how you feel. I’m in a similar position, and even with a healthy budget and being willing to take on youngsters/quirks it’s hard!

I’ve been in contact with a fairly local dealer and I’m actually going to be able to see a couple that tick most of my boxes this week before they officially go on the market. Then there’s the stress of trying to get them to pass a vetting too… might be worth you doing something similar? So they can keep an ear out for anything that comes along.

JJS

Visit site
Hello anyone who replied on this thread. I’m not sure if any of you will see this but if you do: thank you so much! All of your advice really helped and I found my boy back in August now. I’ll attach a picture. It’s not impossible! Keep up hope!

Lovely update! Congratulations on finding your perfect pony :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
We found him on Preloved on night, went to view him the next day 4 hours away in Essex and bought him that evening! Definitely worth the wait and the journey, thanks everyone for your advice and help :)

Your speed of action was impressive! He looks grand.