Losing the will to live

Helga1980

Visit site
Have only been looking for new horse for a fortnight and am starting to despair, maybe I'm just cr*p at reading between the lines but none of those I phone up about seem to bare any relation to the advert
frown.gif
mad.gif

I want a 16hh - 16.2hh MW to BSJA, needs to be eligable for BN and highly doubt I'd go beyond NC in all honesty, also has to hack alone and good in traffic. Not fussed on sex, colour, breeding and pretty flexible on age (say 5 - 12).

Obviously would prefer something that was good to shoe, catch, load etc. etc. without any serious vices and have up to £4000 to spend. Any suggestions of places to look??

truffles

Visit site
Sorry to hear your having a tough time looking, but the right one will come to you soon!

have you had a look at...
*your horse/ horse and rider/ horse and hound magazines, which all have a "horses for sale" section at the back.
* www.horsequest.co.uk (I have seen lots on horsequest!)
* www.horsemart.co.uk
* Putting an ad in the local mag/newspaper, and in local tack shops?

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you, and PM you if I see something.
smile.gif

Helga1980

Visit site
Thanks - am starting to think a dealer is a good idea - if only to have a couple of horses to try at the end of the journey rather than just one which is nearly always a hand smaller than they say
tongue.gif

vic07

Visit site
get them to email or send you pics. I have loads of the horse I am trying to sell and therefore should never have a problem with people not knowing what they are looking at! hee hee!

truffles

Visit site
Ooh yes, also look at good, reputable dealers!
smile.gif
A
lthough it's never happened to me, I've heard people arriving to see 16hh alrounder, and get a weaving, cirbbing heavyweight!
blush.gif
The sheer cheek lol!

samp

Visit site
try ww.horsemart.co.uk or I believe there mag National horsemart is out next week - they have the largest number or horses for sale I have ever seen. Something silly like 3000. Could place an advert locally or online?
DEalers are good providing you get a reputable one - unfortunately there are a lot of dodgy ones and all overpriced

KatB

Visit site
Don't dispair, I ws looking for a couple of mnths, and although a few caught my eye, none of them interested me enough to go and look at them once found out details. However, then found my boy on a website, fell in love on site, and just KNEW he was the one I wanted. 6wks later (and a trip to Ireland for me, from for him!) he was at home all mine
smile.gif
You WILL find the one, just dont dispair because it hasnt jumped on you yet.

siennamum

Visit site
I don't think you've been looking for very long tbh. I would expect to have to spend weeks and weeks and then to have to travel up & down the country and see all manner of badly described & completelyunsuitable beasts.
Expect everyone to use entirely different terms to describe their horses. ie. Stunning might mean pig ugly & knock kneed, fabulous paces might mean would move ok if it weren't for the heat & swelling in all 4 legs.
I wouldn't yet go to a dealer, if you want a nice jumper/allrounder then you really want a horse that's doing the job well for someone else.
Hold your nerve, for that price you will find few & far between, but should be acheivable. Ensure you see LOTS of pictures or videos & that you ask every single question you need to ask, before you go, saves wasting time. & sadly don't trust anyone!

X

xspiralx

shame you weren't looking about a month ago, Paris would have been ideal for you
crazy.gif

Helga1980

Visit site
Not been looking for long at all I know - I just get a bit impatient at times.

I know you are right about the price but I do find it depressing that £4k is now considered a very limited budget
frown.gif
crazy.gif
frown.gif

siennamum

Visit site
I absolutely agree. We've just spent the best part of the Summer looking at horses for under £5k, and generally saw some nice animals, probably saw a couple that would have done you.
I have also spent the last month looking at ponies for a £5k budget and they are rarely as described!!! It's a horrifying thought when you consider that the ponies are to be ridden by children.

Petrie

Visit site
Gosh, 2 weeks is hardly any time at all! I know someone who spent two years looking for 'the one', although I do think that's a bit extreme!

I spent a good three months looking recently, had to ride a lot of donkies first.

Yes, it's really frustrating, you just have to be prepared to waste a lot of time driving around the country looking at rubbish, and then you'll probably find the perfect one half an hour down the road! That's what happened to me, anyway.

Be patient, ask lots of questions and get lots of pictures before you go, and if anything makes you feel suspicious, don't book a viewing.

It is an absolute nightmare, and I don't think you're safer buying privately than from a dealer, both have their upsides and downsides, you just have to keep your wits about you and take a knowledgable friend.

Good luck!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
There are some nice horses on H&H online - at least four of them in Wales. One of them is a TB by Supreme Leader - who my Freddy was by, so very tempted myself.

I popped in min height of 16hh max of over 17hh and asked for Allrounders.

Maybe some there worth a closer look.