Loss of horse and the one left behind........

PetalPower

Visit site
I would really appreciate some advice please or how you have dealt with the same situation. I am facing the loss of my beloved 19 year old whom I have had since aged 5. Her stable mate (9 year old ISH) has extreme separation anxiety in the stable (fine in the field) but is a naturally stressy type of horse.

These two horses belong to me; the only other horse at the yard is a 3 year old who is likely to be sold soon.

My concern is what will happen at stabling time for the stressy one left behind. Wintering out is not an option due to the fields being clay; they do get turn out but at times would have to stay in. Stressy one has been in the stable on her own and does eventually settle if left alone but as soon as someone goes down the yard she will rear, run around the stable and generally get very upset. I have tried gradually lengthening the time she spends alone but she is obviously distressed when left. The same happens if a different horse enters the yard whilst she is stabled but she isn’t bothered if she is out in the field.

Has anyone else been in this situation and what did you do? I can possibly get another horse but obviously this is something I don’t want to rush into when I lose my horse of a lifetime and my heart is breaking.
I would really appreciate any advice anyone has, hoping to limit the distress of both her and I when the time comes. Thank you in advance.

Clodagh

Visit site
Sorry to hear you are losing your horse.
As I read this you are considering keeping one horse on it's own for the foreseeable future? Sorry if I have misunderstood that, but stressy or not no horse should live alone. So you will need to get another before the 3 year old goes, I would get a cheap to run mare of a similar type to the one you will have so they can easily be looked after with the same regime.

oldie48

Visit site
I keep my horses at home and when I lost my oldie last year I initially borrowed a pony from a friend and advertised for a loan pony. I do actually think my horse would be OK on his own but it's not how I want to keep horses and the sect A I have on loan is great fun. he doesn't stress if left on his own, isn't expensive to keep and generally is very easy. I did prepare for losing my old boy so i knew I could ask at very short notice for a companion.

Dopeydapple

Visit site
The blue Cross are always looking for homes for their youngsters, it means it's not a long term commitment so if you want to get a 2nd horse eventually you can hand the youngster back when it is ready to be broken in and find its permanent home.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i would contact whw,blue cross or redwings to get a companion for your horse. if you look on whw website there are lots of companions looking for homes so you would have a big selection to choose from. i would suggest getting something before you lose your other one so she gets used to it while still with the old one. the advantage with a horse from one of the organisations is that it could go back to them if you decide to get another ridden horse. sorry you are facing losing your older one, its never easy....

PetalPower

Visit site
Thank you all for your advice. I agree that I would not like to keep a horse alone and never have when I only owned one, there have always been other family horses on the yard. I have every intention of getting another horse but with the oldie suddenly going from fine to very poorly I didn't want to make any rash decisions. The idea of borrowing a youngster from the Blue Cross is a good idea, I'll look into that. I'm hoping that my mum won't sell the 3 year old until I find another though.

At the moment just devastated at the thought of losing the oldie, can't imagine life without her.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
All good advice above.
One thing I do with bonded pairs, is to let the one remaining see the body before it's taken away. Not just look but be allowed to sniff, touch, push etc, I find it helps them understand what had happened to their friend. Often they may be subdued for a few days after, but in doing this it often removes the panic and searching for their missing friend.
I hope, whatever you choose to do, goes ok x