Loss of Use/Breeding

evsj

Visit site
I am currently seriously contemplating putting my mare into foal. Reason being she is off work again following an injury - this time to her check ligament in her near fore.

Up until this point she was being prepared for Borde Hill PN, had recently been placed at a pairs HT, so I have been getting her fit since January and now she's potentially off the road for another 6 months (another wasted BE Membership fee!!)

Because she is now 13 and and potentially won't be fit to event til she is 14 I am now considering whether I really want to continue eventing her as I have wanted to progress her to Novice for the last three years but due to her tendon injury and now this ligament in the other leg, should I really be eventing her? She is IDXTB 1/2 bred and over the last 4 years the Draught has really come out in her - maybe she is too heavy to be doing all this work?

I want to put her in foal but just got thinking whether I could claim for LOU as it is unlikely I will event her again (although she will be fine for jumping still). Does anyone have experience of this?

SpottedCat

Visit site
You can't claim for LoU on the basis that you have decided not to event her again. You can claim if a vet says she will no longer be able to event due to the injury.

Re the BE stuff - if you don't do an event then you can get the money back - they will refund if you have not had any starts.

evsj

Visit site
Thanks Spotted Cat, I couldn't get my refund for Borde Hill because it was only event I have got in that wasn't wait listed but I take it you meant my membership fee can be reclaimed?

I wasn't intending to claim on the basis of my decision alone but in consultation with vet who thus far has recommended extensive rest and no other treatment - would be seeking assessment from them.

SpottedCat

Visit site
Yes, your BE membership was what I meant, sorry! Individual events sadly you may as well have burnt the cash
frown.gif

KIMBY

Visit site
I am currently in the final stages of claiming Lof U for my dear mare due to a collateral ligament injury she will not be able to jump again. The process is very long her injury was diagnosed by MRI June 2008, went through box rest, different treatments then very slowly back into work but it was sadly not to be. If you want a foal from her you would be wise to go for it now as the older she is the more difficult it becomes. Some very good advice on the breeding forums. You can still go down the L o U route whilst she is in foal.

bailey14

Visit site
I'm not being funny and I will probably be shot for saying this but why does everyone that has a mare that is unable to be ridden again/needs time off to recuperate consider that putting it in foal is such a good idea. Apart from the obvious risk to both mother and foal, it is also blantantly obvious that there are too many unwanted horses and ponies out there already. Far to many people seem to think this is the 'easy way out' as far as making choices go. Unless the mare is of fantastic breeding anyway, and has an excellent temper and confirmation why bother? Take for example someone I know who spent over £5k trying to get her mare in foal, and didn't, only be told in all likeliness the mare is barren. It certainly isn't cheap to produce a foal and it is a huge responsibility. Fine, if you intend to keep the foal yourself, but the BHS are campaigning at the moment to make people aware of the consequences of indiscriminate breeding.

evsj

Visit site
I take on board your above points and believe me I have turned over the whole issue of indiscriminant breeding in my head again and again and I can assure you that I am not just some rose-tinted-spectacle wearer wanting to breed a cute foalie-woalie out of an old knacker.

I have owned her for 8 years and in that time I have been repeatedly told what a lovely stamp of a mare she is by vets (one writes for H&H), judges, instructors as well as ordinary but experienced horsey folk. That is aside from her scope, bravery, honesty and generally great attitude to work.

I am not looking at this as an easy way out at all and I understand exactly the costs, potential costs and risks involved. Which is why I posted on this forum which is used by some very knowledgable people, to gain from their experience. It's a shame that some people make a judgement about others based on a question that somebody posts on an internet site.

Yes, there are far too many poorly bred horses out there - I live in an area where surrounding fields are littered with poorly put together, sickly looking youngstock which, without disrespect, seem to be something to do with the large numbers of travellers in our area. The BHS campaign is not going to reach these communities, I am afraid.

My question was based around LOU which I am considering taking advantage of and retiring from eventing.

I am also a gold member of the BHS, have been for nearly 18 years

traceyann

Visit site
I have just got my loss of use though collatral ligament damage but had irap and he now sound oops but i didnt know it was going to work but dont feel to guilty as i will never jump him again the only thing is as soon as i got my cheque unbeknown to me they stop my insurance i had been riding on the roads and he went out in the field so i was so worried they would not give me third party insurance the only thing i was covered for if he hurt anyone in the field i was covered but between the field and stable if he hurt someone i wasnt how stupid been with them fourteen years had to change insurance company was honest they were great about it sorry gone of subject a bit far to many unwanted horses as there is unless your gonna keep the foal for the rest of its life one more could get lost in the system and you always worrying where it is