Loss of use

Adoni123

Visit site
That's interesting to know thanks Equi.

I'm not going to bother leadhorse, just buying myself a £7k horse but my insurance is looking at £200 a month. £40 for vet and public liability cover so going with that as I don't like surprise vet bills!

Leadhorse

Visit site
That's interesting to know thanks Equi.

I'm not going to bother leadhorse, just buying myself a £7k horse but my insurance is looking at £200 a month. £40 for vet and public liability cover so going with that as I don't like surprise vet bills!

Yes I'm insuring for vets bills etc just torn with the Lou part as it's something my family has always had but the horse is only a low level horse and will only go to a few local shows

Adoni123

Visit site
I've never heard of anyone getting money back for loss of use and neither has Equi it seems, must be quite hard to prove unless you've got a big fancy showjumper than can no longer jump etc...
It may be hard for you to prove that you can no longer do low level stuff I guess, I'm only planning low level stuff too so just not going to bother! :)

Leadhorse

Visit site
I've never heard of anyone getting money back for loss of use and neither has Equi it seems, must be quite hard to prove unless you've got a big fancy showjumper than can no longer jump etc...
It may be hard for you to prove that you can no longer do low level stuff I guess, I'm only planning low level stuff too so just not going to bother! :)

Yeah my relative has a sj and got Lou due to it not being able to do the heights anymore

Ossy2

Visit site
I’ve had 2 horses be paid out on for LOU, for me it’s well worth it. I still have the money in the bank from the LOU claim for an experienced eventer but replaced with a younger horse.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
E&L paid out lou on a friend's mare last year for neck arthritis. They took her vet's word for it that the horse was unrideable. The horse was insured for low level dressage and hacking.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I always have and was glad I did with my old lad. I had him PTS after a kick in the field broke his shoulder. As he was visible/external injuries only due to his age, the LOU paid for his vets bill and cremation costs.

dixie

Visit site
I paid for loss of use on a mare I bought. She was with a dealer who had just imported her from Holland and therefore no history. NFU paid out within a few months as she ended up being diagnosed with kissing spine.
I only paid £3500 for her and got back £3k and ended up only paying 3 months premiums. So well worth out on that case.
This was about 12yrs ago and the premium was around £75pm.

however nowadays I wouldn’t actually bother, if I could research the horse and I can afford to replace anyway.