Lost a dog today…so very sad ?

catembi

Visit site
This is the worst part of having pets.

Max the Rottie has had a bit of an upset stomach for about a month. He has always been sensitive so we did all the usual tricks… no wet food, big tube of pro kaolin, switch to purina gastro food. He’s been up and down, still eating and pretty much normal. Began to not look great over the weekend and threw up yesterday and again this morning. We took him to the vets first thing who sent us to a different branch to drop him off for bloods and scan. They rang to say that it’s a stomach tumour that has already spread throughout his intestines ? We could try a biopsy although it would only confirm what was 99.9% certain, or go to an oncologist for chemo which might get him another 3 months. The only realistic option was PTS ?

I just can’t believe that he’s not coming back home and that I will never see him again. I was expecting to be sent home with antibiotics. I didn’t go back just to say goodbye as I simply couldn’t have done it and it would have upset him to see me upset. He was only 5. I can’t believe that I can’t call him over for a hug. I can’t believe that he struggled on without complaint. I am so desperately sad ?

Attachments

• 5F1F0CB9-C64F-4180-8C2B-D77DB421DE43.jpeg
    5F1F0CB9-C64F-4180-8C2B-D77DB421DE43.jpeg
    637.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 2F862BD6-127E-4F54-A0C1-AF19F250CDFF.jpeg
    2F862BD6-127E-4F54-A0C1-AF19F250CDFF.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 53

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
So sorry Catembi, but you made the kindest decision to let him go. I hope the hurt reduces a bit as you get over the shock.

Nicnac

Visit site
So tough. I lost my 5yo Flattie to a very similar thing in early summer. Life is so unfair sometimes but the best thing we can do is send them to peace as early as we can bear.

Have a hug

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
It's a horrible situation to be in, we had similar with our five year old rottie bitch. You did the best you could for your lad and it is a definite down side to a wonderful breed.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am so sorry.

We had a very similar experience with our 6 yr old Rotter. She was vomiting for most of one night, went to the vet and had a scan and bloods the following morning. A splenetic tumour was found that had spread to her bowel but the extent wasn't clear. Vet transfered her to a different surgery witha view to operating but sadly, the tumour proved to be too extensive when they could see it properly. Ruby was one of the friendliest dogs I've ever met and she loved going to the vet's to meet new friends, she always wanted to look behind all the doors, so we knew that she would be having a good time, which is the only consolation about the way it all happened. Her 8 yr old sister is now living with a bladder tumour with pain management and we know that she is on borrowed time.

Regretfully we have decided that we won't be buying any more Rottweiler pups, so unless a rescue comes along our Rottweiler owning days are numbered. Our first one was a rescue, we met her at 5 months and she lived to be 8 and I can't cope with losing them so young. We have a pair of Labs now.

What a handsome chap, your dog was. Look after yourself.

Ratface

Visit site
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your lovely dog.
Undoubtedly, he had a wonderful life with you.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
so sorry you have lost your boy,what a shock.. out on my walks i see a woman with a 6 month old rottie bitch who has a cancerous growth on her anus and vets said they couldnt operate due to its position so she is on pain relief for the moment and she will be PTS in the near future. she has only had her for a couple of months as the previous owner decided they didnt want her. at least she is with an experienced dog person who will do the right thing but its tragic as she is such a lovely friendly girl.

catembi

Visit site
Sorry for your loss as well, hereshoping. ?

I am having a rethink on the whole Rottie thing. My first one Kane got to 12 years 2 months before he got very bad insides. PTS without investigating as he was also very doddery and fell over a lot. Lost another at 8 to bone cancer which was awful as she was fine in herself. The treatment would have been amputation and chemo for a few months of life, which I decided against. She was replaced by an 8 year old rescue Rottie who will be 10 very shortly and is very lively and sprightly. It is so hard to lose them. I thought we’d have another 5-7 years ?