Lost Dusty last week

eggs

Visit site
It has taken me a while to come to terms with it but early last Monday morning I got the call from the horsepital that they would be putting Dusty to sleep. She had gone down in the stable on Sunday morning and they had been unable to get her back to her feet and she was beginning to get distressed. We had taken her there on the Saturday thinking that she had torn a cartilage in her stifle but very sadly it seems that she had something far more serious going on. We are waiting for the post mortem findings but it seems as though you had suffered a spinal cord injury. She had come in stiff from the field some weeks earlier with a scuff mark down her side which looked as though she had collided with a gate post. Bute and rest had only made a slight improvement and her x-rays didn't show anything sinister so we were fully expecting to be picking her up this week to begin her rehabilitation work.

I had had her since a foal and she was the sweetest horse to have around. The yard is definitely a quieter place without her and I am actually missing her banging her stable door for attention. I had been planning to put her in foal next year (she was by De Niro). She made you feel you could actually ride especially as she found changes and lateral work so easy. She did piaffe as an evasion but it was a lot of fun sitting on her when she was doing it.

RIP Dusty and thank you for the 13 years we had together.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am so sorry to see this, it is devastating to lose a horse in an emergency situation. 13 is no age but it does sound as if you had a fabulous 13 years together. Try to concentrate on the memories of the good times and look after yourself.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
So sorry, I hope you get some answers from the post mortem for your own peace of mind. She sounds like she was wonderful horse xx

ozpoz

Visit site
So sorry Eggs. That sounds awful for you. I hope the post-mortem result makes it easier to process.