lost my welly in the bog !

sawle01

New User
Visit site
I'd let my friend hack out on Bravo, because she hadn't been riding for aaages. Off she set, round our usual Sunday mellow hack through the woods...I said that since it was such a nice day after the recent rain, i'd meet her for some packed lunch down there, catching up by jumping over the hedge beyond our back paddock and cutting thru....what a cool day !

Got me flask and that in me bag, and hopped the hedge into the birch grove. Our back paddock, like many, has really poor drainage, so squished me way across in my new Aigles (decided to splash out about six weeks ago - fed up with crap wellies!),vaulted the back wall and...

SLURP !!

What I hadn't realised is over the back, all the run off drained into a deep and sucking bog....which I had launched myself right into!I was up to my boot tops before I knew it!
confused.gif
I tried to pull my legs out but it was like treacle...my left leg was down well over the knee, my boots were starting to fill and I realised that slowly but surely, I was getting sucked in ! Panicking, I called out for Josie who after a minute I realised must be well gone round the lanes. The bog was all quavery and was really pulling me in( I mean we've all had our moment in gateways, but this was scary ! I could feel myself going down!
confused.gif
) In about 3 minutes I had gone from being calf deep and annoyed to thigh deep and practically bawling ! I reached in and pulled my right boot by the straps and luckily it wrenched free with like a yucky suck. I slopped to the edge before I realised that my left Aigle wellyboot was vanishing into the mire and NOT on my foot...

My friend didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I turned up to our meet 15 minutes later black from the knees down, in one boot and one (formerly red)kneesock...

Am I the only person stupid enough to get stuck and lose my welly in this way? Any advice on boots that stay ON !! in such a sticky situation? Do I just need more socks? And come to that any tips on extricating yourself from the mire?

Ps It's only since losing my Aigles that I realise how much I LOVE my wellies!! They look after me in winter, in streams, mucking out, walking the dog and even shopping when I'm lazy !! I think we should all celebrate em !!

Oh well...got to go to the tack shop again now, gonna be embarrassing!
<span style="color:blue"> </span>

A very silly but relieved Christina x