Lost our darling boy.....absolutely gutted and shocked

Lexie81

Visit site
I can't believe i am actually having to write this, but on Sunday we lost our superstar 1 in a million pony. He was my 9 year old daughters absolute best friend and pride and joy, she is heartbroken beyond belief and I am a total wreck.

We bathed him on Sunday afternoon ready for a Jubilee show yesterday, all was well and i left him in his box with a nice clean straw bed and some hay to finish drying off while i did a few jobs then had to collect my daughter from a party. Returned 2 hours later to find his body contorted in pain and his back end swollen massively, unable to move at all behind having spasms of pain. Rang the emergency vet immediately.
I had no idea what was wrong, but i feared the worst and asked my hsuband to come and collect our little girl who at this point had collapsed in a heap sobbing. Vet arrived and after scans and xrays which he was able to do at the yard, it transpired our darling lad had fractured his femur. Vet took tons of xrays to be sure as he said it was so unusal and unexpected. But it was clear to see on the xrays. Sadly there was nothing he could do for him, so he was given morphine for the pain to move him out of the box, and surrounded by me, my best friends who he knew well, and our lovely kind farmer/YO he went very peacefully.

No idea at all how he did it.The vet did say he could have fractured it a few days ago and then just moved awkwardly in the stable and broken it open. Thank goodness it happened at home and not it the trailer the next morning on the way to the show, that would have been awful for him and so frightening, or while my daughter was riding as she would be even more devastated if she had to go through that. He had been turned out by himself as my big mare is on more graass that him, He was a little Welsh sec A so on a constant diet! Its a total mystery. If either of my horses were going to do this i would put money on it being my big 16.2hh WB girl who runs round the field like a loony, not our 24 year old little chap.

He taught my daughter everything, was much admired and had taught many other little girls before her. He loved life and loved everyone and just last week was galloping along the beach having a fabulous time. He was such a lovely little chap, I used to say that when i looked at him in our paddock, with his gorgeous little face, he would make my heart almost burst i loved him so much. He was supposed to retire at the end of this summer and live out his days with us as a pampered little man but it wasnt to be.

RIP Jeff, you were truely the most special little friend any little girl and their Mum could wish for xxxxxx

KSR

Visit site
Oh my god, how awful.. These horses are so bloody fragile..

I am so sorry for you and your family and RIP little angel pony xxx

debsg

Visit site
I am so sorry for your's and your daughter's loss of a wonderful little pony. How incredibly sad :(
(((hugs))) to you both xxx. RIP little Jeff xxx

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
My heart goes out to you. Dealing with your own shock and distress, as well as that of your daughter's must be incredibly tough. Poor pony. Run free :(

Something similar happened last month to one of my YO's super fit horses, that had just passed a 5* vetting. He was down in the field, in terrible pain, and he'd broken his neck - no idea how he did it at all. No kick marks, skid marks, nothing. Such a shock.

I am a week into grief, and have found that taking the Bach Flower Remedy "Star of Bethlehem" has helped me, hubs and my terrier cope.

(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) Shysmum xxx

Paddy Irish

Visit site
Oh blimey , my heart goes out to you and your family , what a terrible shock and like you said thank god you were with him at home . Nothing can take away the raw pain of these tragic events , but i'm sending a huge hug from me and Paddy. xx

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
How absolutely awful for you! What your vet said rings true with me as we had a horse here (not mine) who managed to fracture her fumur whilst on box rest! I would not believe the vet that she could have done it in her box as she was a huge horse and that bone takes a lot of force to break. But I helped with the post mortem and was able to see with my own eyes that there had been a break through the top of the femur, but only half way through the bone that had calcified and so was an old break, but the rest of the break was clean (and so recently done). The horse was obviously lame due to the partial break, but only when it broke completely was it so bad we had her PTS there and then. So your lovely boy could have been walking around with a partial break for some time and then just slipped or moved awkwardly in his stable which finished it off.

I am so sorry.

Montyforever

Visit site
I'm so sorry huge hugs xx
We had a older horse at our yard who slipped one day and came in with a hairline fracture on his shoulder but none of us knew at the time as he didn't even come in lame. Went back out a few days later and rolled we think and just completely broke it and couldn't walk :( these things just happen sometimes but he sounds like he was a fantastic pony

Emilieu

Visit site
I am so very sorry to read this, especially for your poor daughter. Thoughts with you all. RIP Jeff. I'm sure he will live on for many many years in the hearts of the children who loved him x

Fantasy_World

Visit site
In tears now after reading that :(
I am so sorry for you all, what a horrible ordeal to go through :(
RIP Jeff, so very sorry for your loss x

Cupcakes and Horses

Visit site
My heart goes out to you and your daughter I am in tears as I know how devastated my own 9 year old would be. The happy memories will last a lifetime it just takes a while to realise that xx

Goldenstar

Visit site
That's terrible your poor little girl, quietly start to ask around for another because it is the best way to get over losing one but I would not mentain it to her yet unless she raises it.

horseluver4eva

Visit site
im so very sorry for your loss. i cant begin to imagine how heartbreaking it would be, but also remember that you gave him the best life he could possibly have. RIP xxxx