lost shoe and farrier not coming until friday???

Hemirjtm

Visit site
Hiya everyone...i was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me please?

My horse lost his shoe yesterday and i was wondering if it was still ok to ride him out on hacks (just on tracks)....he doesnt seem to mind walking around on it, but has quite bad feet (we are sorting them out at the moment but the 'crumble' at the bottom)....

He also cut his front foot just above the hoof (it looks like he has overreached - or possibly whilst jumping a ditch?) he isnt lame??

Im not riding today, but we are doing a long journey next sunday so would really like to get as much energy as poss out of him before we make a journey, but not sure how much i can do with 3 shoes?

any ideas or thoughts on my situation would be grateful
grin.gif

tractorgirl

Visit site
I wouldn't ride him if he has bad feet, if the hoofwall crumbles, the farrier may struggle to get a shoe back on! I can sympathise as mine loses shoes for pastime - see post in hunting forum!
If you can work him Friday and Saturday once the farrier's been I'm sure he will be fine on Sunday

pottamus

Visit site
You mention that your horses feet are not great and they crumble at the bottom...I would not be taking him out on roads or tracks...it only takes one stone to take a huge chunk out of them and then you have set yourself back months in trying to get them right again...not worth it!
I take it you have no where to school or lunge...field or school???
Do you have one of those boots you could put on him?

Hemirjtm

Visit site
ok thanks, the tracks around me are grass...and muddy and pretty good..no stones if i stick to the good parts, but that is just what i was thinking, if his feet are bad then i may be riding for a fall, so to speak! No i cant lunge him anywhere, our fields are black and muddy and he just slips....tbh he is cr@p at lungeing anyway, we have been trying to get him to lunge for a year and he just turns into you! I dont know what boots you mean?!

air78

www.ctwequine.com
Can't you get a diffrent farrier out? Friday is ages away, I would be having a firm word with my farrier if told me he couldn't come out for five days. I would want a shoe back on ASAP if he has bad feet, so I don't think you would be being unreasonable.
The bots are the 'boa' hoof boots type things, like a rubber sock for horses. They are ment to be good for situations like yours. Otherwise, is there an arena close by you might be able to use?
smile.gif

Hemirjtm

Visit site
im in France and TBH the farriers out here wouldnt be any quicker...this is FAST for France!!! ok thanks...was talking to my mum and were going to invest in one! No there isnt an arena near by...and i dont have a trailer at the moment...ariving Friday!!!

I know it is ages away, but He is the best farrier in our area, and knows my horses feet....He is coming to replace all of them....and we were booked for friday, rang him up today and he said that if he was just coming to do one he could fit us in on thurs but he is doing all four and he hasnt got time.....im not using the France thing as an excuse but it is very difficult to find people arounf here, plus they dont work for two hours over lunch time and they like to be finished by half 6/7...there is NO way i can get another farrier out before Friday...one farrier i know calls up on the morning he is coming and expects you to be in (i find that disgraceful!)