Lousy for what I need in new lorry living?

zoelouisem

Visit site
As title. I got a new lorry with a little basic living. Plan to do 3-5 day stay away shows.
Going to make a trip to pound land I think for a lot of it like knives and forks.
My mind has gone blank what do I need for the living?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Ikea is better, keep extra teaspoons in reserve, as one will disappear every trip. Keep weight and washing up down using paper plates. Plastic glasses and mugs are quite nice.

sarahann1

Visit site
Here's what I would have if I was ever lucky enough to get my own wee lorry:

A plastic picnic set of plates, cutlery etc.
Extra plastic mugs/wine glasses.
4 proper mugs for cups of tea.
A cosy extra blanket.
Two torches, one small, one big.
An extra pillow/cushion.
A couple of small towels for people and a couple for the animals.
Washing up liquid and kitchen cleaner.
Dish cloths.
A wee camping kettle if you have a gas hob.
If you don't have a hob, a camping stove.
Travel pots and pans.
Dish towels.
A couple of door mats to help catch the mud before you get into the living area.
Dust pan and brush.
Throws for the seats to help stop them getting grubby.
Matches.

Things I've also seen on lorries but wouldn't have myself:

Wine racks
Optics

Shazzababs

Visit site
In addition to sarahann1's list

- Roll of bin bags (useful for all sorts, not least putting on the drivers seat if you've run out of dry clothes).
- Emergency Biscuit\Snack Tin - Primarily for use if you breakdown\get stuck in traffic for ages. Been there, never been so hungry!
- Bottle opener and can opener.
- Bag containing: A Jumper, Baseball Cap, Woolly Hat, Warm Gloves & a spare pair of sunglasses (mine had some jogging bottoms in too after one particularly wet outing).
- A pair of old trainers\boots - for driving home in if its been a really wet day.
- Small sewing kit and safety pins.
- Wet Wipes and Anti-Bac.

- Camping chair(s) - Depending on how much space\weight you have. You can always sit on the ramp, but a proper seat is nice if you are away for sometime.

TGM

Visit site
Do you have a toilet in your living? If not, obviously you should be able to use toilets on the show ground but it can be a horrible trek when it is dark and it is raining, and you often find a loooooong queue first thing in the morning! Worth investing in a camping toilet that you can put in the horse area for times when you are caught short! Also take loads of toilet roll and always take a roll with you when using the showground toilets as they often run out!

Something we find very useful is an inverter which can be used to charge mobile phones from our lorry battery, as if you are staying away for 3 to 5 days at a time, you might find your phone battery won't last that long, and would be terrible to have a problem on the journey home and find you can't phone for help because your phone is dead!

Last edited:

humblepie

Visit site
staff - to ensure that cup of tea is always nicely brewed as you return to the lorry. Lots of sensible stuff above. I find that organising the human food and lorry supplies takes nearly as long as getting the horse sorted! I know you asked about the living but if it is your first lorry do you have spare light bulbs (as in lorry head light type bulbs), hi viz, warning triangle stuff like that. Am fortunate that carry my own mechanic (OH) but sensible also just to have a few basic tools like adjustable spanner, hammer etc for horse shoe repairs, overnight stabling repairs, even lorry repairs.

zoelouisem

Visit site
Thanks all very helpfull.
It's my first lorry with a living just sold my very basic ford transit as fed up of either sleeping in the horse bit of somebody else's lorry or a tent.
It's not got a shower/toilet but am thinking of the camping one after been at wales and been miles from the toilet!! Finding a bush at 3 in the morning after a few drinks was not fun!!!

Unfortunately I am the unpaid staff!! I take me daughter out showjumping!!

And your right defo the human stuff takes a lot longer than pony stuff that's so much easier!!

sarahann1

Visit site
Re a toilet, I know a few folk who have a pee bucket, they put a load of shavings in, useful for late night widdles with less hassle than a portable toilet, but not everyone's cup of tea and requires good balance!

zoelouisem

Visit site
Yer I did think about the bucket trick. But I'm travelling with a 10 year old and the camping ones are only about £40-£50 for a flush able one!! Although it will be a strick no 1 rule only!!! Although at least if daughter got a bad tummy in the night it is there to use!!
Other bits to get first so the camping toilet is last on the list.
But thinking of doing a new year show so may get it before then as it will be freezing outside going for the toilet just before bed!!