Lovely lead rein pony started to nip when going in to trot

Orchardbeck

Visit site
We have a gorgeous Sec A mare, we've had her about 18 months and my daughters ride her on the lead rein. However when moving off in to trot she has started an annoying habit of occasionally nipping the leader and shaking her head afterwards - she actually hurt my husband yesterday. I had her teeth rasped on wednesday, the dentist said they actually looked fine but she had a routine rasp. She is normally in a thin magic bit, I tried her in a wilkie style lozenge yesterday but it made no difference.

But...she also does it when being led in a headcollar, so it can't be just the bit, or the saddle, unless it has become a habit. How do I stop it?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
It's not the saddle or girth pinching perhaps? Does she do it without a rider?

Elbow her on the nose as she goes to do it.

Do you feed her titbits from the hand, if so I would stop that and feed only from a bucket, myself.

Shay

Visit site
Lots of kids ponies learn this. Experienced handling can stop them doing it with an adult- but sadly they often continue on to nip their smaller handlers.

If you ever feed treats by hand - stop. She needs not to associate a human hand - or pocket - with food.

When leading her be aware that she does this and ready to block her with an elbow - even a smack if there is no-one on board. (Don't risk a buck in retaliation!). Also growl at her at the same time. She will then come to associate being growled at with something undesirable - for both of you - and hopefully cease the behaviour.

You do need to check tack and back. This may have started as a pain response which she has now discovered creates a reaction which rewards her - stopping work. If there was pain at the heart of this you need to resolve that before you can resolve the behaviour. And of course if there is pain she will escalate poor behaviour trying to get your attention.

CMcC

Visit site
^^^ Agree with Shay totally. First step get tack and back checked. I have a pony who will try and nip when being saddled, this is a clear indication that the saddle is not right and time to get it checked.
As she is a lead rein pony will associate being led with possible pain, or anticipation of pain from saddle - she does not rationalise where pain is from.
So agree behaviour needs to be addressed but first make sure she is not just trying to tell you something by nipping.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
A friend had a lovely lead rein show pony, many years ago that would stand in the line up with the a tiny bit of the handlers wrist skin between it's teeth, it knew that nobody could do a thing about it in those circumstances :) In later years the pony was a rock steady RDA pony, but handlers had to be aware that she would still give the wrist nip a try and keep the arm out of the way! :)