Low energy feed that will keep the weight

vicm2509

Visit site
My horse has recently become a little naughty. He has been very ill with strangles and came back into work about 8 weeks ago, all going well until recently.

He does not hold his weight well, and as he was doing more work I have gradually increased his feed again. However when he is in the stable he has started bucking at the wall, and apprering quite agitated. He is on a new yard, however he was fine in his stable before I reintroduced the hard feed. He is on the same feed as he has always been on, and he was fine on it before, but I thought the feed was the best place to start.

He has been getting 1/2 scoop fibre beet, 1/2 scoop barley. 1/2 scoop baileys number 1, linseed once or twice a week and alfa oil. He needs this amount of feed for him to keep the weight in the summer.

Yesterday he was moved onto much better grazing so I can afford to cut down the calories a bit I suppose.

What I am looking for is a feed that will keep the condition but not give him so much energy. I was thinking along the lines of topspec or blue chip?? Perhaps just to add to the alfa oil. I have not used anything like this before though so dont really know what to get. I just need something to keep his weight on but keep him sane.

He has no more energy when ridden and is not naughty, hes quite laid back most of the time just seems to be getting a bit uptight and agitated at times. Oh and yeterday when my friend turned him out he reared and galloped off with his heacoller on, he is never normally like this.

Sorry for the essay, any ideas??

little_pink_piggies

Visit site
Winergy Low Energy Equilibrium... Absolutely amazing stuff! Cant rate it highly enough, all mine look in great condition on it and are so chilled, but never ever feel tired when I ride them... I love it!

eventgirl

Visit site
dodson and horrell weight gain is fantastic, I would highly recommend it as I had a mare who was practicaly emaciated when I bought her, but being TB i had to be careful with what I fed her. She had 3/4 scoop of weight gain, 1/2 alfa a, 1/2 speedi beet and a slosh of oil twice a day and it never blew her brain. She also managed to hold the weight really well, so much so that she only has 1/4 weight gain and 1/2 alfa a twice a day now!!

Llwyncwn

Visit site
So pleased to hear he is feeling his feet again, what a lucky boy! This is one case where I am sure that the famous HHO vibes worked.

With my rescues I feed high fibre/oil diets split into a number of feeds. I allow up to half a pint of veg oil per day, chaff (whatever you use), speedy beet, D&H Country Cubes and lots of Dr. Green, along with a regular routine and a broad spectrum vit/min suppliment.

I would put his behaviour down to being on a new yard and having a point to make. I would discontinue the barley too.

Its so good to hear he is feeling so good.

LindaW

Visit site
Winergy Growth, lower in starch than equilibrium so less energy, but for weight gain. I have a horse similar who has been poorly and has just put on 29kg in a month on the feed trial for their new conditioning feed that's coming out. In the meantime, having had a long chat with an advisor at winergy, she's going on the Growth.

Do call them up for a chat - they have time to speak with you and advise properly, explain why they suggest what they do.

I'm thrilled with the difference it's made to my mare.