Lower leg position and spurs...... thought/ opinions?

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
Just to ask a question really. I have been riding for nearly 23 years (since I was 2) and only started using spurs when I had a very secure lower leg position, working on seat, lots of lunging with no hands and stirrups,and work with no stirrups to secure seat before I even thought of using spurs and the first time I did it under instruction and didn't hack/ jump in them until secure in their use in the school. Just wandered about your thoughts on this?

I don't like seeing spurs on in secure lower legs but that might just be me and my paranoia :eek: :D

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I agree with you 100%

Having come through Pony Club and had a daughter go through Pony Club I'm used to people not wearing spurs until their instructor can convince the DC that their leg is secure enough or they have their B Test - and their leg position should be secure to pass that.

I'm also used to parents badgering the DC for their child's spur permission and being very upset when it's not forthcoming after consultation with their instructor.

I don't like seeing them on insecure legs and I especially don't like seeing them used by children who are proficient at the Pony Club kick and use it with spurs on.

Kokopelli

Visit site
I totally agree with this! I hate seing people without a good leg position riding in spurs I had lunge lessons like you before I rode in them and even then they were very short dummy spurs.

I see a lot of children doing BS under the age of 12 in spurs and even the best young child is not that secure in their seat. I have even seen some kids at pony club punishing their ponies with spurs and the instructor doing nothing about it.

But then again when I was 16 I did a 16 and under dressage and actaully got eliminated ofr wearing spurs so it was good they were enforcing it, I was a bit peeved no one told me beforehand no spurs were allowed :p

I know its not just kids but I think sometimes spurs are fashionable, people wear them because it makes them look good.

arizonahoney

Visit site
Funny, growing up in Spain, we used spurs all the time and thought nothing of it. These days...I probably wouldn't, although I have considered buying a pare of comb spurs as a little extra assist.

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
Interesting about Spain. What kind of spurs did you use?

I don't like using long spurs, get worried I am going to stab horses side. I use the little stubby ones if I have too at all. Its good to here that some DC's are very careful about the use of spurs though.

arizonahoney

Visit site
Just your standard Prince of Wales spur. We also rode all of our horses in pelhams with a single romel type rein on the lower ring :eek:...

But they were used to that and went very nicely, whether you were dressaging them or riding them on the beach.

Sol

Visit site
The young girl I saw a fortnight ago at the yard was there again this thursday - on a pony too large for her, using draw reins - and spurs. There was no way that she was ready to use either of these!
She was also using the spurs with the rubber long riding boots. I honestly don't see how people can do this, as you cannot feel when you are applying the spur in these boots, and they generally aren't great for riding in, especially for children who often aren't strong enough to flex their ankle against the rubber, so can't put their heels down whilst wearing them!! :/

I wasn't allowed spurs until my instructor said I was ready for them. Now I feel confident using them on just about anything, and they aren't short, but I can feel when I am using them and know how/when to use them.

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
Gosh Sol, poor pony. I agree about the rubber riding boots too, they don't hug your ankle enough to give enough feel. I have used the long spurs once before, at a Lucinda Green clinic after she told me to put them on :eek: :D.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I agree that you shouldn't use spurs until your leg is secure. Most people use them nowadays because they think they look good! I think that you feel spurs more in rubber boots - they dig into your own heal too when you use them... I used to wear them in rubber boots years ago, and was much more aware of them than I am nowadays in my leather boots!

Lolo

Visit site
You could argue that the spurs sit parallel to your horses sides with a slight inside curve, so a leg which swings back shouldn't cause them to dig the horse unless the person grips with their ankles or turns their toes out as they swing their leg back. Therefore, someone who achieves a secure looking lower leg by gripping with their ankle will be causing the horse more discomfort than someone who maintains the parallel line between the spur and the horse's sides as their leg swings.

But as a general rule, I agree! Really does worry me sometimes at PC stuff that someone was allowed by their DC to use them.