Ludo at big boys school second visit

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Trainer is very pleased with our progress and seemed a bit surprised that I'd actually been doing what he told me to in the last three weeks. I'm not sure what that says about how other people pay trainers and then ignore them?

This is a full, unedited couple of minutes that shows you the raw material in progress. I think it's clear that he's a big, weak baby with enormous potential. Some moments are brilliant, others not so good.

As always, folks, I'm not looking for comments about his soundness or my riding. I was, by the way, carrying my left hand higher than my right as instructed by the trainer. I would listen to comments that I am doing too much too soon, I'm very concerned not to push him too fast and have an agreement with my trainer that this is along term project and we aren't in any rush.

New arena, new markers, a bit upset by the return of my loaned mini, still carrying a hole in the forehead from a kick a few days ago ..... I am absolutely thrilled with him !

Last edited:

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
He's looking loverly!!

Bless him he's got so much movement that he can't quite coordinate yet - his back end gets swinging and his front legs go a bit flaily, and then he gets them in line and his back end falls behind a bit, but he's trying so hard for you. Such a sweetie. He's going to be a cracking horse in a couple of years.

Also really like that bridle shape on his face - what is it?

ycbm

Visit site
He's looking loverly!!

Bless him he's got so much movement that he can't quite coordinate yet - his back end gets swinging and his front legs go a bit flaily, and then he gets them in line and his back end falls behind a bit, but he's trying so hard for you. Such a sweetie. He's going to be a cracking horse in a couple of years.

Also really like that bridle shape on his face - what is it?

What a great description of what I am feeling on top !!

It's a Micklem. Only because I like them, not because I feel he 'needs' it.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
he is showing some very good work, love his attitude , he has got a really big trot for a youngster and he will be very smart once he has mastered his balance. , i really like him....you made a good buy there!!!!!

EllenJay

Visit site
He is looking good for a baby - very trainable. I love a horse, that can't necessarily get it right but tries.
On another note, also loving the look of your saddle. What is it?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I love him, the concentration on his face is so sweet ❤ He reminds me a bit of my Great Dane pup, all gangly and wobbly and desperate to get it all together lol. He's already lovely, esp for such a baby too. He's going to be awesome as he matures :)

ycbm

Visit site
he is showing some very good work, love his attitude , he has got a really big trot for a youngster and he will be very smart once he has mastered his balance. , i really like him....you made a good buy there!!!!!

His canter is bigger and he can't hold it all together for long, so we do very little of it. His trot is the worst of his three paces :)

ycbm

Visit site
He is looking good for a baby - very trainable. I love a horse, that can't necessarily get it right but tries.

Trainer said the same thing about his attitude. He's very trainable, you're right, I said the same during the lesson.

The saddle is a WOW deep seat with 'giant high' knee block flaps. I only use WOWs, they have a carbon fibre joint in the tree which allows the whole front arch to move when the horse swings its shoulders. I also like the air flocking which means I can adjust it for myself.

Last edited:

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site

I've just brought spotty one. You are welcome to pop up and have a sit on it if you want ☺️

He is looking good, so much stronger.

One thing I will say that I have found from mine is see if you can get him used to schooling hacks, especially when you start introducing canter work more as it helping my spotty no end.

He is just my type.

ycbm

Visit site
He does hack, and is surprisingly spooky considering how quiet he is to school. But he is always on his own hacking, which doesn't help. He lives on a very steep hill which should be making him stronger but he's such a gangly great baby I think he just needs time.

I want my instructor to ride him and feel how much he's throwing me about! Every bit of him is moving, and i just look like I can't sit still and hold a contact 🤣

LadySam

Visit site
He’s so free and naturally supple. He’s gorgeous now but when he figures out where everything goes he’ll be a real stunner. And you can see he tries so hard.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
He does hack, and is surprisingly spooky considering how quiet he is to school. But he is always on his own hacking, which doesn't help. He lives on a very steep hill which should be making him stronger but he's such a gangly great baby I think he just needs time.

I want my instructor to ride him and feel how much he's throwing me about! Every bit of him is moving, and i just look like I can't sit still and hold a contact 🤣

I friend rode mine the other week and couldn't believe how wiggly he is compared to how he looks when I ride him.

You get used to containing and funnelling the amount of power they have.

ycbm

Visit site
I've watched all the videos now. On this one, he canters a twenty metre circle for the first time in his life, starting at about a minute and a half. At home I do thirty metres, and very few of them. Trainer has told me to do some every time I ride him from now on.

More Great Dane puppy than ever 🤣

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Love him...he really tries his little heart out doesn't he 😍😍 The trot as he came down from canter on the first circle showed amazing extension....he's an exciting boy.

ycbm

Visit site
There was a point last year when he was so reactive to any weight on his back that I thought he would have to be sent away for backing and sold because he was too sharp.

But I took it very slowly and when it came to sitting on him, he was easy and he has been easy ever since. Unless I get his feed wrong and try and give him alfalfa or any form of grain, when he's like he's got an electric cattle prod up his bum 😝

He is genuinely every bit as sweet and compliant as he looks in the videos, never changes from one day to the next, rain or shine, windy or still.

He loves being worked with and he loves being cuddled. He's still very unsteady in the contact, but apart from that I can't fault him .... except for all the white 🤣

tristar

Visit site
after he has circled could you not ride forward down the straight in trot? sorry can`t help but tell people what to do !

silv

Visit site
A great deal to like about him, when he fills out and gets stronger he will be fantastic, heaps of potential there. An exciting prospect for the future.

ycbm

Visit site
after he has circled could you not ride forward down the straight in trot? sorry can`t help but tell people what to do !

I think it's probably better if I do what the guy I'm paying a lot of money right there watching us tells me to do 🤔

tristar

Visit site
There was a point last year when he was so reactive to any weight on his back that I thought he would have to be sent away for backing and sold because he was too sharp.

But I took it very slowly and when it came to sitting on him, he was easy and he has been easy ever since. Unless I get his feed wrong and try and give him alfalfa or any form of grain, when he's like he's got an electric cattle prod up his bum 😝

He is genuinely every bit as sweet and compliant as he looks in the videos, never changes from one day to the next, rain or shine, windy or still.

He loves being worked with and he loves being cuddled. He's still very unsteady in the contact, but apart from that I can't fault him .... except for all the white 🤣

what do you feed then?

ycbm

Visit site
I feed Top Spec Cool and Condition cubes, which is high calorie for the TB and/or Spillers Speedy Mash, which is very low calorie. Both of them are grain and alfalfa free, the feed manufacturers have woken up to cereal and alfalfa sensitivity these days.