Ludo's first lesson in 4 months!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I finally got a lesson in today! I was really thrilled with him. I've been working very hard on maintaining a consistent contact and sending him out to the bit. He has a very unsettled mouth, and has always had, but it is slowly improving. The Bombers Happy Tongue bit has made a big difference.

The snippet of trot video is a true representation of his work, he shrinks back, I ask him to go forward, and he responds. The canter is pretty much how he is all the time.

He's awesome too ride, so active and with such a huge stride. He's just beginning to be able to extend the trot, and it's going to be fabulous in time. He's only five, and I have taken him very slowly because, as I think you can see, he is far too elastic for his own good and it would be very easy to break him. He has only just progressed to one hour hacks on the hills, it used to tire him too much, but he's gained a lot of strength during lockdown.

Please no comments on my riding or his soundness, I am just sharing some video for the people who want to see how he is progressing since I bought him nearly three years ago. My trainer was delighted with our progress.

Trot

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Canter

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
He really is lovely, and yay for lessons again!
Just a thought on the head thing in trot (feel free to ignore), because Arts is quite similar to how he looks. I had a bit of a lightbulb moment a month or so ago about rhythm - because she's quite forward going and tends to rush when slightly unbalanced I had been a bit neglectful about riding positively forwards for a rhythm. I would correct the rushing and she had got really good at stretching forward over her topline, but because I wasn't also correcting the moments where she was dropping momentarily back off the trot rhythm I was never quite getting that super consistent, secure trot. So we had a very subtle but perpetual slow-quick rhythm going on that I hadn't really noticed. I spent two weeks just working on 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2 and being really insistent about it (not doing much particularly as she's really sensitive, but just keeping that as the overriding thought in my mind), and her trot suddenly improved massively.

Just thought it worth mentioning, apologies if it's teaching granny to suck eggs.

And wow will that canter be nice when he has the strength for all that movement!

ycbm

Visit site
No that's great DD, thanks. I've been so focused on the contact staying at the end of the rein (which has been truly dire until recently) I've not focused on rhythm yet. Time to put it all together.

He's amazing to ride, everything is moving everywhere ?. He is incredibly flexible!

I had a lightbulb training moment with lengthened strides today, too. Trainer told me to push the head forward, not the trot. Think of pushing him out to a secure contact at the end of a slightly longer rein. That really works for me, I always hassle too much to get medium trot.

ycbm

Visit site
He looks fab, you must be thrilled with him! And I cannot believe you've had him 3 years - that's gone really quickly!!

How was Deza at being left behind?

She was so good I completely forgot to mention it! No issue at all, she didn't even scream when we got back. I don't think she has ever been alone in her life before she came to me, so it's pretty amazing. One of my biggest fears mixing two of different sexes is separation issues, so this is great :)

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
He looks super and waaay ahead of where Skylla was at five ?.

With both of mine I found as their strength and balance improved the contact naturally did too, but it was still something to keep working at so they didn’t get too light in it.

ycbm

Visit site
I sometimes despair of his bit chomping, but my trainer insists he will improve.

If he improves like Skylla I'll be happy :)

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I sometimes despair of his bit chomping, but my trainer insists he will improve.

Keep going and keep the faith!

Topaz had the worst mouth I’ve ever ridden. Contact shy, would suck behind it or open her mouth with tongue lolling ?. Steady, consistent work and she got there, though for her all the years jumping in a gag means contact issues are always lurking if she’s not on the aids!

Skylla was more straightforward, albeit still tricky. She was very nappy at five so contact was forgotten in place I’d go forwards you *^%€*#~! However, same story once she was strong and on the aids her mouth became quiet and she’s starting to take her nose forward (she’s 8 this time ?), so yeah he’s definitely ahead of her!

Trouper

Visit site
He looks so much stronger. I am sure as he gets his body together - and he is still growing and maturing! - his head will drop into line at the end. So pleased for you that they have settled so well together but are happy to go off and do their own thing too.

ycbm

Visit site
I think he's going to be a lot more chunky yet. When I bought him at two, I thought he would turn into a light middleweight, and by the look of his backside (which my trainer commented on) and his feet, which are both getting a lot bigger, that's exactly where he's heading.

ycbm

Visit site
That's a nice horse. You've actually just given me the first spark of "I'd like to teach again" I've had in 18 months. Thank you!

You know how much I value a comment like that from you.

ycbm

Visit site
yes he looks so young,! its great to see you enjoying your horses

He's not the most mature five year old in the world is he ? ?

I'm in no hurry, thankfully. I'd like him to last until I don't want to ride any more. I could still be pootling around on him on my eighties if we are both lucky.

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
Lovely to see Mr Spotty Bottom out and about - he's really matured and looking very grown up. Also cannot believe it is 3 years since you first introduced him to us!

The bit bank recommended I changed the micro cob to a Bombers Happy tongue and she's lots better but still very inconsistent so I will be stealing some of the advice from other posts on this thread :) Think the tiddly pony is finding this riding stuff quite hard work after spending most of her life on maternity leave.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
No that's great DD, thanks. I've been so focused on the contact staying at the end of the rein (which has been truly dire until recently) I've not focused on rhythm yet. Time to put it all together.

He's amazing to ride, everything is moving everywhere ?. He is incredibly flexible!

I had a lightbulb training moment with lengthened strides today, too. Trainer told me to push the head forward, not the trot. Think of pushing him out to a secure contact at the end of a slightly longer rein. That really works for me, I always hassle too much to get medium trot.

He looks so much stronger

Trust me it will all come

My spotty was exactly the same and can revert back when he has had time off.

He also tends to curl up when asking for a contact and when you sent him forward he rushes and curls more.

We had to work on sending his head forward but our eureka moment was working on our gear changes in the different paces. As when we make everything slower he wants to rush and curl up more so making him take it slow and balance then speed up the impulsion etc.

So nice amount of leg yeild circles, 5 meter loops, serpentines etc playing with the gear changes but also making sure that hands were forward to allow him to stretch into the Bridle.

We have cracked the walk, trot us just about there and now we are working in the canter.

He so reminds me of spotty.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site

Spotty used to bit chomp, it's a balance / confidence thing. Once he was more in balance and not rushing etc the bit chomping stopped.

I also got a horse bit fit consultant out and oh my goodness the difference in just changing his Bridle was massive. Then we added in the bit and it just clicked.

He is in a NS Team Up and loves it.

ycbm

Visit site
He really is lovely, and yay for lessons again!
Just a thought on the head thing in trot (feel free to ignore), because Arts is quite similar to how he looks. I had a bit of a lightbulb moment a month or so ago about rhythm - because she's quite forward going and tends to rush when slightly unbalanced I had been a bit neglectful about riding positively forwards for a rhythm. I would correct the rushing and she had got really good at stretching forward over her topline, but because I wasn't also correcting the moments where she was dropping momentarily back off the trot rhythm I was never quite getting that super consistent, secure trot. So we had a very subtle but perpetual slow-quick rhythm going on that I hadn't really noticed. I spent two weeks just working on 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2 and being really insistent about it (not doing much particularly as she's really sensitive, but just keeping that as the overriding thought in my mind), and her trot suddenly improved massively.

Tried this today, DD. He got very cross, so it's obviously working ? When he accepted it, it had definitely made a difference and made a bit of lengthening much easier to achieve as well. Thanks!

ycbm

Visit site
Went to our second post lockdown lesson today. Unfortunately our trainer didn't, and says they can't remember me booking it even after having forwarded the texts that we exchanged when it was agreed.

So we just used the indoor school by ourselves and had a really brilliant session. The tip DD gave me above about focusing on rhythm now I have the contact is paying off in droves. His work is improving massively. I literally ride the entire time in trot saying 'tik tok tik tok' in my head.

Unfortunately we now need a new trainer. Late last time, no show this time, more done by ourselves than we do in a lesson (where we have been pretty much stuck on 20m circles and straight lines for a year). If anyone knows the name please don't mention it, it wouldn't be fair. They are a good trainer, just not for me any more.

Last edited:

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Boo to the trainer, you’re not a million miles from me and I recommend Dianne Breeze to everyone, she is amazing!