Lump on horse's back

mickey

Visit site
Sorry I don't have a picture of this....
But I just noticed today that my horse has a small 'lump' on his back under the saddle region. Essentially it is flat, disc shaped about 3-4mm in diameter. It looks like it is made of the same type of material as a wart. But it is flat.... I am wondering what it might be....?
Also how shall I treat it? I don't really want to get the vet out just yet.

collie

Visit site
Could be anything without seeing it. Saddle pressure sore - heat bump- cist- allergic reaction - sarcoid [unlikely normally dont see them in this region] - or maybe it is a wart. Is it sore to touch or does the horse object to the saddle. Would'nt leave it to long.

mickey

Visit site
My horse is skewbald - But it is on the bay part of him. It is not sore to the touch at all, he is not bothered by the saddle. It looks in effect like a small, round piece of skin pushed upwards - with no hair on. It does not appear to be fluid filled or growing further upwards or outwards. It looks quite inert really, but I am concerned as to what it might be..........

collie

Visit site
One of my horses has 4 lumps on her back they are hard and quite pronounced but the hair is still on them. They are probably collagen necrosis lumps which are dead cells caused by fly bites or a trauma of some description. They are superficial only and do not cause the horse pain but they would rule her out for showing. The lump you describe would appear to be different and with that in mind i would keep an eye on it as the saddle may rub on it and cause a secondary infection should the skin be broken. Calendula or Neem cream can often help with this type of dermalogical problem, it is not expensive.

mickey

Visit site
OK thanks everyone. No matter how much pressure I apply to it (even with my finger nail) it does not cause any flinching/pain. It's very small and looks inocuous enough so I shall keep a careful eye on it. Where do I get Calendula or Neem cream from? Are they veterinary products?
Thanks.

collie

Visit site
No Calendula and Neem [the spelling maybe Neam cant remember] cream are not vet products they can be got from most holistic or natural health products just use a search engine and you will get loads up. They are very mild so you dont have to worry about causing any damage.