Lumps and bumps

ginnyspinner

Visit site
Went to see yet another horse today, grey warmblood mare 8 yrs old. Imported earlier this year.
She was lovely, true jumping machine, but had a lump almost golf-ball sized on her neck and "issues" over having her head/muzzle touched. The owner said "grey always have lumps and bumps" but then was cagey about whether it would affect the vetting. I walked away without buying.
Is it true that greys have lots of lumps and what could this one have been?

Bossanova

Visit site
Greys are more prone to melanomas but they can be significant and can cause problems. If you like her I'd get her thoroughly vetted

frannieuk

Visit site
I guess she's referring to melanoma's which do predominantly affect greys. I think it depends on where they are as to how much they affect a vetting. I've known a few horses with them who have no effects at all, and one who was ultimately pts as a result of having them.

ladylisa

Visit site
My grey mare has lumps on the top of her neck, well throat, one is the size of a golf ball and the one on the other side is slightly smaller. I was told it was just her glands by the vet, but had the backman out last week to give her an MOT and he said that they shouldnt be hard to the touch and they may be cancerous.