Lumpy face?

Eliza120280

Visit site
My horse has come out in small lumps on his face and neck...any ideas what it could be? The only new thing in his diet is sugar beet, I introduced some mid week last week. The lumps came up on Friday night. I stopped feeding the sugar beet on Saturday but they are still there, gone down slightly though, maybe take a few more days to get out of his system? He is absolutely fine in every other way, no change in his behaviour and is his usual cheeky self!

Anyone elses horses had a similar reaction?

Eliza120280

Visit site
Dont think so.......he was turned out all day Thursday but in on Friday, so surely the lumps would've been there Thursday night/Friday morning if it was from that? Thanks for the suggestion though.

He is seeing the vet on Friday for his vaccinations so will asked them to have a look if not gone by then - hopefully they will though!

Eliza120280

Visit site
I've heard about that reaction with barley too - never with sugar beet though! Its the only new thing in his diet for months so it must be that?! Will just have to see how it goes x

Natalie_H

Visit site
Sounds like the sugar beet to me. My TB suffers with a number of different allergies. Sugar beet is often a culprit (although it is one of the few feeds he can tolerate). These lumps sound very much like what he gets. It will often take a good few days for it to get out of his system. If you haven't seen any new ones appearing, then they will probably go as you have withdrawn the new feed. You could give him a dose of epson salts to speed it up?