Lunged for 3 hour's!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I could not read the whole story but it seems strange that a horse could in a condition of turnout for the ring after three hours mainly cantering .
I don’t know what to think about it .

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/new...s-up-after-pony-lunged-for-three-hours-785730

A showing judge who saw a small pony at an event being lunged for some three hours says such “utterly disgusting” sights make her wonder what else is going on at home

She told H&H she caught sight of the pony being lunged while she was in her first class, which started at 11am. It was still being “chased around in canter” on the circle at 2.45pm.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
She was judging, was she really in a position to say that pony was lunged continuously?

Maybe it was lunged at 11 to exercise it and then just popped back on the lunge before its class?

It sounds pretty crazy to me, I can't see how the pony would be fit to show.

Wizpop

Visit site
She was judging, was she really in a position to say that pony was lunged continuously?

Maybe it was lunged at 11 to exercise it and then just popped back on the lunge before its class?

Agree- does she know for a fact that it was continuously lunged? Why not do something at the time to find out???????

HashRouge

Visit site

I thought this too. I mean, what on earth would be the point of lunging a horse for almost 4 hours? Even the hottest horse in the world would be utterly exhausted after that and you certainly wouldn't have something that was fit to be seen in then show ring.

fetlock

Visit site
Agree- does she know for a fact that it was continuously lunged? Why not do something at the time to find out???????

Presumably it remained in her eye view whilst she was in the ring judging. She did do something- she raised it with an official. The lungeing however continued, though the pony was moved further away. She's also raised it with H&H (and who knows, who else) .

[153312]

Visit site
I read that article - if it's true, and it was really lunged for 3hr straight, that is utterly abhorrent behaviour. But I don't understand why, if the judge is really so well-respected, they didn't go up to them and say 'oi, the way you're treating this animal isn't actually acceptable'.

Also I would fall asleep on my feet of sheer boredom if I had to lunge for that length of time.

BBP

Visit site
Back when I worked as a groom in the states the head trainer was a tiny guy with a massive ego. The horses were all big high powered warmbloods but doing hunters where they basically have to be foot perfect. The trainer refused to sit on any of them to show them until there wasn’t a hope in hell that they would play up and make him look anything other than the perfect rider. So he would make the grooms ride them for hours before his class times. One particular mare, my favourite of the lot, had an incredible engine and her trot and canter were phenomenal and appeared tireless. I remember her doing at least 2 hours of trot and canter before her classes. It was horrible, She was so genuine she just never powered down (and she was the same after 20mins or 2 hrs so It was competent pointless) My point being, I can believe that this happens and that some Duracell powered horses would just keep going.

Lois Lame

Visit site
https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/new...s-up-after-pony-lunged-for-three-hours-785730

A showing judge who saw a small pony at an event being lunged for some three hours says such “utterly disgusting” sights make her wonder what else is going on at home

She told H&H she caught sight of the pony being lunged while she was in her first class, which started at 11am. It was still being “chased around in canter” on the circle at 2.45pm.

Hang on a minute though.

(Just to play Devil's advocate.)

So the judge saw the pony being lunged at around 11-ish. And later, at 2.45pm. What about the bit inbetween? Or is she jumping to conclusions?

HashRouge

Visit site
Hang on a minute though.

(Just to play Devil's advocate.)

So the judge saw the pony being lunged at around 11-ish. And later, at 2.45pm. What about the bit inbetween? Or is she jumping to conclusions?
It's a bit vague as to whether she actually saw it during the time in between, or just saw it again at 2.45 and assumed it had been lunged for that entire time. I don't know. Obviously if someone was lunging for that entire time, then that is utterly horrendous. But it just seems so unlikely. We've all lunged - would any of us actually manage to keep lunging for that amount of time? I know I wouldn't, I can do about 10 mins before I'm incredibly bored.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Ok so it’s vague , then I don’t think we should judge until we know the actual facts .
I can see it being perfectly possible that they may take a horse off the truck when then arrived lunge it to settle it and then take it off and do that again a few times.
Still may be damaging but it’s a different thing .
Once upon a time horses that where unsettled at shows where ridden quietly around the show until boredom set in .
If it was being lunged because it was so explosive they can’t get on it without doing then then for its simple it’s not a show horse find it a job it’s likes and that suits it temperament .

blitznbobs

Visit site
I had a mare that needed to be lunged before you got on it for 2 years as a youngster — everytime — even if she was ridden put on the wagon and then got off again for another class — otherwise it ended very badly

jnb

Visit site
I heard of a horse being ridden continuously around the NEC from its allotted warmup time at 18:30, until it was in the ring at 07:00 the next day.
Horses being left out all night the night before a show (no problem with that) - with NO water ( i DO have a problem with hat!!)
Lungeing for 2-3 hours apparently isn't unheard of, I was personally told of one at the last Royal Show at Stoneleigh being lunged for over 2 hours on rock hard uneven ground.
Strangely, it disappeared without trace the year after having won all before it in that year .. :(

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Chances are it was just lunged a few times through the day and she just happened to see it both times, I know of people that will do this at a show its not uncommon.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Totally normal in showing, along with feeding huge amounts of feed, cruel practices for measuring in, strapping heads down for hours on end, over-rugging and many more questionable practices. For thousands of show horses around the country, they are silently and behind closed doors living a life of abject misery.

Birker2020

Visit site
Totally normal in showing, along with feeding huge amounts of feed, cruel practices for measuring in, strapping heads down for hours on end, over-rugging and many more questionable practices. For thousands of show horses around the country, they are silently and behind closed doors living a life of abject misery.
I've seen some of these practices at a yard I've visited a friend at, and its totally vile. Poor horse had his head tied down 'to create more topline' - have you ever heard of anything more despicable??