Lungeing and A test

monica987

Visit site
Okay, I have been asked if I wish to continue with the PC test series and I have said yes, to lungeing for sure. Have got that booked for some point in July but is it worth doing the A test?

I passed my B test last month with a distinction (wooP!)
Should I do the PC test or wait and take my stage 3 when I am 18?

Sorry for secong post tonight!
blush.gif

Lolo

Visit site
Even working towards your A test will be worth your while because of the invaluable experience you'll gain from learning to such a high standard. I always wanted to do the A test horse care part- it was my goal! But I'm no longer PC so it won't happen- grab the chance while you can!

rss07

Visit site
Care is worth doing, its well respected. I had a go at the riding twice, and didn't get it, but to be honest, I really enjoyed it both times, I found it a real adrenalin kick to be told "get on this horse and jump those fences!".

I would definitely say keep it in mind.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
definitely worth doing and is a big plus on your CV horsey wise as is incredibly hard to pass. I tried but failed (on 3 occasions
blush.gif
) mainly down to fact my back is a bit buggered (well riding 2 horses in a day it can cope with, 6 no chance!!) oh and the small fact I did no where near enough preparation
blush.gif
LOL. I thoroughly enjoyed it though and learnt alot.

The A care is mainly common sense. I crashed revised (not recommended!!!) in a week as it was a week after my uni exams and they came first. I passed fairly easily though as so much is everyday knowledge and it was simply case of knowing some bits in bit more depth. The A care manual was my godsend!!!

The lunging really wasn't an issue. I rarely lunge at all and never have but passed this section every time (at the lunging exam then the care and all three times of my a test attempts!) again was confidence and general common sense that got me through.

If you have the chance do it!

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Worth doing it . Claire got hers and it exempts you for more than B test but you have to show you are and effective rider as well as being safe and knowledgeable .Good luck

Tnavas

Visit site
Go for it - get some lessons on safe lunging - as safety is a key issue - lunge as many horses as you can and really get a handle on the whip. Learn the difference between lunging for exercise and working the horse on the lunge.

I teach A & H students and they love learning to really handle the lunge whip. I line old drink cans up on a fence and say right you need to learn to flick the whip enough to tip each one over. They learn to judge distance so they don't hit the horse, but are also able to stroke the horse behind the elbow to encourage him out.

Gloves, helmet, no spurs! never drop the line on the ground, be able to tuck the whip behind you in an easy movement. Undo side reins when changing rein, correct length of side rein. Have commands consistant and use tone of voice to take control. Best of luck with the study - practise what is taught/expected at every opportunity, nerves will have you revert to your practised ways.