Lunging equipment ??

tubby1

Visit site
I don't really do any lunging but would like to start especially cause I don't like riding in crappy weather ( ridiculously nervous rider ) and horse is getting less turnout than I'm happy with. My question is Shoukd I just buy a pair of side reins and pop them on the saddle or Do I need to get a roller etc ? I want her to work properly when being lunged not just hooleying around on the end of a rope . Would it be worthwhile getting some sort of Pessoa to work her and if so can you recommend one . Thanks in advance

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I don't really do any lunging but would like to start especially cause I don't like riding in crappy weather ( ridiculously nervous rider ) and horse is getting less turnout than I'm happy with. My question is Shoukd I just buy a pair of side reins and pop them on the saddle or Do I need to get a roller etc ? I want her to work properly when being lunged not just hooleying around on the end of a rope . Would it be worthwhile getting some sort of Pessoa to work her and if so can you recommend one . Thanks in advance

I am not a fan of side reins TBH. They need constant adjustment every time you change the rein otherwise horse will not be bent correctly. I only use them on horses that dislike other lungeing equipment or when teaching a youngster or ex racer to accept a contact on the rein. I like the de gouge and the equi ami. The equi ami is my favourite because it self adjusts so that the horse is bent around the circle. I used to like the pessoa, but don't use it any more due to also having to readjust when changing rein and the direct link from mouth to behind the hind legs. The equi ami does not have this due to the way it is constructed.

PorkChop

Visit site
Depends what you want to achieve - I would rather long rein than lunge. But if you want to lunge then I would suggest you buy some draw reins and use them over the back, between the legs and then attached to either side of a cavesson, or attach to the bit. This really encourages them to stretch long and low and relax over their back.